Question Water Damaged HDD SSD

Sep 20, 2022
Hey guys so I have an issue and I haven’t been sure what to do about this for years. I have 3 HDD 1 SSD, I spilled water on my last build, two of the hard drives were in it. I was wondering how I show go about finding if the hard drives work still or even which ones are the water damaged one. I really wish I could just plug them into my pc and check but I am afraid of damaging other parts. If someone could please give me some advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I was wondering how I show go about finding if the hard drives work still or even which ones are the water damaged one.

Take the HDDs, flip them over and check the connectors (both SATA ports) for any discoloring or out of the norm + check the PCB underneath (if your HDDs have visible PCB). Do not unscrew anything from HDD.

Oh, you might need to use magnifying glass to check the pins in SATA connectors, since they are quite small.

disk-SATA-1.jpg

Now, you have 2 options of what to do:
  1. Hook the HDDs to your PC and look if they power on/ you can access it.
  2. If you're afraid frying your PC, take both HDDs to any PC repair shop, tell them that HDDs may have water damage and let them check for you, if they can access the drives normally. Do not ask for data recovery and/or refuse when offered, since that will cost quite a lot and if HDDs are working fine, it's unneccessary cost for you. Since at that point you can put confirmed to work HDDs to your PC and copy/paste the data over. IF the drives can't be accessed normally and you have vital data on them, then you can consider data recovery and pay hefty sum for it.
And that's about it.