[SOLVED] Water dripping through sleeping tower pc.

succmysalt

Prominent
Apr 19, 2019
I recently moved my pc. Luck might have it, I moved it right under the leak in my roof. I left the house for four hours, and when I came back I got the present surprise of water dripping through my whole pc.

Anyways, my pc was sleeping, or at least I hope it was when it started dripping. When I got home I noticed the water before I woke the thing up, so I just turned off the power supply and unplugged everything. I need to know if it's even worth trying to dry out everything since it could have had water in it for up to 4 hours and sleeping (still using low power). And if I should try to dry it out, what would be the best way to dry out that many components. If you need more context, feel free to ask.

Solution
It dried for about a day in front of a fan. I don't think that's enough time. Is it? I also see corrosion through the whole board. Is it at all possible that it might still work?

If there is corrosion. It may or may not. You can try. If it doesn't work you may want to try some electrical contact cleaner. You don't want one which leaves residue or lubricates. Possibly clean with a toothbrush.

Even if it works. You'll want to address the corrosion issue. If left to its own devices. It'll probably get worse.
Sure it is worth it. It may not have hit anything powered. Even more likely on a desktop. Just open things up and disassemble as much as you can. Then let it air out a few days. Preferably in front of a fan.

Fix that roof leak. It can cause many tens of thousands in damage to the building. Plus cause mold growth. If you can't afford a roof. At least try to patch the leak. Even if all you can do is plug it with exterior silicone or replace a damaged shingle.

Reactions: succmysalt

succmysalt

Prominent
Apr 19, 2019
Ok for sure I will take apart the whole thing and dry it out in front of a fan for a few days. And believe me I've tried to fix the leak. There seems to be no fix at this point lol. I'm just going to rip out the ceiling at this point to find the issue.

succmysalt

Prominent
Apr 19, 2019
It dried for about a day in front of a fan. I don't think that's enough time. Is it? I also see corrosion through the whole board. Is it at all possible that it might still work?

If there is corrosion. It may or may not. You can try. If it doesn't work you may want to try some electrical contact cleaner. You don't want one which leaves residue or lubricates. Possibly clean with a toothbrush.

Even if it works. You'll want to address the corrosion issue. If left to its own devices. It'll probably get worse.

Solution