water in sump

bob somer

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
the oil level has risen in the sump .there is no typical signs of water no sludge .ive drained the oil was looking for water to come out of the sump followed by oil but it was not the case.the level in the rad was down but not by the same amount as the oil level was up .the engine oil smells very much like petrol. i have been having running problems on tickover this was or is due to the demon 650 having casting sand left in the float bowls. and as yet havnt managed to get it running due to the posible water in oil problem. but it revs alright but wont tick over.

bob somer

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
no not yet i thought i would take the inlet off first to see if it was the inlet first then progress onto the heads as someone said it may be an inlet leak but i wanted another opinion before i progress . thank you for your input kanewolf.

Ticity

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Which car brand/engine/model is it?
Some cars, when regenerating the DPF and Nox filter, gets the fuel in to the oil, so the oil level rises after some time.

Also if one of your injectors get stuck open, or is bad, i may be giving to much fuel, or its not a "fine" enough spray.
Fuel is lighter then oil, and can get through the piston gasket.

Can also try taking out the sparkplugs and try to crank it quick. If its a really bad headgasket leak, it can/will blow water out.
At least it did on my uncles car, but that was really bad. VW Golf