[SOLVED] Water-like damage on Asus Laptop Keyboard, Keys now goes haywire

ShiroItami

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
I have an Asus laptop GL702VM. A few days ago I was cleaning the surface of it with a damp cloth (obviously wasn't dry enough) I used to do this every so often for a long time, using a wet a damn cloth to remove finger prints, oils and sticky dusts and all that. I guess I was in a hurry and the cloth was far to wet still and some sneaked into the keyboard itself. It started to mess up after 8hrs.

An example of what it would do, several function keys, including letter keys would be pressed in continuum. It would ghost a lot of functions, while also preventing use of other keys.

In an attempt to disable the laptop so I can figure out what to do, I opened up the back, and unhooked the ribbon wire that makes the keyboard work, however upon doing that the POWER wouldn't work. I had to plug it back in just to be able to turn on the laptop.

Upon doing that though my keyboard was... relatively working, aside from unable to press 2-3 keys which where un important. I ended my day, had my laptop off then woke up next morning, and boom it was doing the exact thing again.

One last note: My laptop is now unable to sleep. Every time I put it to sleep it immediately wakes up. This used to never happen before. Oddly enough though even looking at a keyboard event viewer, no keys are pressed, so I really do not understand, or does the ghosting go past the OS layer where I disabled the keyboard there. It turns on but the screen doesn't pop on till I move my mouse or press on a USB keyboard (which works fine)

I already ordered a replacement keyboard. I plan on installing it when it arrives in a week from now. I do want some second opinions though, in case maybe its NOT the keyboard.

Do you believe this damage will or will not be fixed by a replacement keyboard? What do you suppose happened in particular? Could the problem I explained be something other than the keyboard?

Thanks for reading this far and I'd appreciate your opinion.

Solution
"Do you believe this damage will or will not be fixed by a replacement keyboard?"
I think that's your best chance. That's what I would replace.

"What do you suppose happened in particular?"
The liquid caused a short and this caused one or more electrical parameters to exceed the spec of a component or components and it or they failed.

"Could the problem I explained be something other than the keyboard?"
Yes...but as I said....I would replace the keyboard first because what else are you going to do at this point?
"Do you believe this damage will or will not be fixed by a replacement keyboard?"
I think that's your best chance. That's what I would replace.

"What do you suppose happened in particular?"
The liquid caused a short and this caused one or more electrical parameters to exceed the spec of a component or components and it or they failed.

"Could the problem I explained be something other than the keyboard?"
Yes...but as I said....I would replace the keyboard first because what else are you going to do at this point?

Solution

ShiroItami

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

Thanks for answering. I ain't the smartest when it comes to tech so I wanted to be sure. Plus I'm a college student so even the replacement part will mess with my budget. Need to make sure it most likely is the problem before I potentially waste money. I still have a Chene to cancel. It's also why I don't bring it in anywhere. Can't afford professional repair.

TRENDING THREADS