- Water/Liquid Cooling Questions/Concerns [Advice/Help]

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Hi, I couldn't select "water cooling" as a sub-category to put this in so I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong spot. I've been interested in getting into water/liquid cooling for my PC for a while now & I have done a lot of research so this will probably be a lengthy set and series of concerns and questions. I don't know if anyone has seen a website called - digitalstorm.com but over there, they have this really nice liquid chilled system that is keeping the temperature of the processor around 32F I believe. Is there anyway to make a system like this? Or buy the parts needed? If not, what is the best way or wayS bar none, don't care about price to cool a PC? I'm probably going with a normal case BUT my motherboard will most likely be micro because that's all I need. There's micro boards under $100 that support 32GB of RAM and can support 6 core processors so I feel I'm good there. I also saw a link on this website to this system and would love to learn more about it but it seems to be out-dated or whatnot = The Prometeia Cooling System.

I'd like some advice on how the best possible solutions to keep my graphics card cool, my hard drives, my memory and even if required my power supply. I know this setup requires 5-7 parts including tubing and such so if your an "expert" at this stuff, I'd love to hear from you and hear your advice. I appreciate your time and thank you in advance. : )

D

Deleted member 362816

I think one company made a liquid cooled psu and that was a mistake lol, Digital storm on there higher end computer use phase changing its very expensive. A good water-cooling loop for a whole computer is going to run you 1000-2000 depends on how big you want to go.

Is this a full build planned or just a adding water to existing? you may be better off putting a thread on home build section http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261222-13-build-advice

Fill that in with as much detail as possible, mentioning your W/c desires, budget and intended use as well obviously and we can go through the whole build with you, a lot of the water crew are also regulars on homebuild as well

Psu-Water? NO, nein, non, nix and any other variation of dont bloody do it :p
Your post despite your warning wasn't that huge,
We'd rather you asked 4 pages of questions to get the right help than barged in unawares and your first post was 'I blew my water rig up' and I'm sure you share the sentiment lol
but the most important aspect I've found of watercooling is this,
if you want to go wet, you can't afford to go cheap. **Edit, although as Rubix below points out, 2k on Water is very ott, you can put a great loop together for $500, depending on specificrequirements ofc)
Moto

D

Deleted member 362816

How so? If you buy cheap barbs cheap blocks sure it going to be alot less, when you make a comment explain what you mean.

I guess I don't buy cheap water-cooling crap like you do.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There isn't really a need to spend $1000-$2000 on watercooling components, I suppose it's possible, but even buying nice, full-cover blocks and compression fittings, you can build a very large loop for $600-$800.

I'm curious how you build out a loop.

I guess I don't buy cheap water-cooling crap like you do.

Hmm...you took this far too personally. Most people here aren't going to suggest to a new builder to drop $1k-2k on a water loop. 99% of people that know what they are doing, don't drop that much on a water loop. I'm curious what you would suggest for that kind of cash...

D

Deleted member 362816

Depends on the rig, Im sorry, I guess I was thinking more high end like 4 video cards and so on, on a normal rig with 1 gpu and 1 cpu block nice kits like the rasa 200-300$ depending on what gpu block you get and where you buy it from.

D

Deleted member 362816

I already did it lol.... it became a nightmare--note dont use double think rads with more heat-pipes its slows down a big loop to much.

leon2006

Distinguished

Your post is full of contradictory in terms of requirement...High eng water cooling, cheap motherboard, and 32 Gbyte of RAM. It does not make sense.

You are looking for water cooling (high end) and yet you want a $100 motherboard w/ 32 GB of Ram. Reliable 32 Gb motherboard are at the highend not the $100 range.... And why do you need 32 GByte of RAM?

Before you define your cooling requirement it is highly recommended that you define your use for your computer. Define specific hardware (CPU, Motherboard, Case, PSU) before defining the cooling approach or methodology you need to use.

Its easy to throw away money on different stuff. Define what you want from your computer... A lot of experience contributors can help you on this. What is the main application of your PC? What type of cooling will best fit your need.