[SOLVED] Water loop not filling up!

LaurX

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
Hello, experts!

So today I assembled my first custom water loop and then I faced one problem. When I filled up my RES and started the pump, coolant was drained out of the RES but not completely. It is like it's just flowing without any pressure but it also does run the full loop. I also lifted PC at any direction - nothing... Soo I am wondering what could be the issue...?

Loop order: RES --> PUMP --> RAD --> CPU --> RAD (small) --> GPU --> RES

I also added some pictures below:

View: https://imgur.com/a/HwkgcFJ

Last edited:
Solution
With the reservoir full and sealed, and the pump running, tip the computer to ensure that the air bubbles can get out of the water blocks. Tip it so that that output sides are highest. Also do that for the radiator. Air wants to rise to the top of the tubes or reservoir or wherever, and can get trapped at local high spots. If you lay the machine on its side so that the reservoir is horizontal, and then rock the machine a bit, you may be able to get the air to accumulate in the reservoir. Also, make sure that the fluid is actually flowing. If there is air in the pump it wont work. You have a difficult plumbing situation with the pump at the bottom and radiators to both sides with the outlets higher than the reservoir.
OK was just checking. Is this custom coolant? Looks thicker than normal.

Also how much is left in the res when you run it? The third picture?

It looks like there is air everywhere. If I remember you need to run it with enough to push the air through and eventually the air should get out of the system completely. Takes some time though.

LaurX

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
OK was just checking. Is this custom coolant? Looks thicker than normal.

Also how much is left in the res when you run it? The third picture?

It looks like there is air everywhere. If I remember you need to run it with enough to push the air through and eventually the air should get out of the system completely. Takes some time though.

Coolant is EK's PreMix.

And yes, thats how much there's left when I run it.

What do you mean with "to run it with enough" ?

You have to keep adding in coolant. I am pretty sure the res should be close to filled up:

ZrEipDG.jpg

Both of the res are filled to near the top. Yours has tons of room in it plus the air in the tubes.

By run it you have to run the water cooling loop for a while to get it to push coolant and air through it. Takes some time.

https://medium.com/@meohoh/an-ultimate-beginners-guide-to-pc-water-cooling-1dd4c68f1474

Slowly fill the reservoir and let the gravity push the liquid into the lowest loop parts. Add more liquid until the res is almost full, then turn on the pump. Keep an eye on the res and a finger on a PSU power switch! When there is almost no coolant left in a res, turn off the pump — remember you cannot run it dry! Refill the reservoir and repeat the entire process until the loop is filled.

You have to run, fill, run, fill etc until it is filled up and no air exists in other areas.

LaurX

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
You have to keep adding in coolant. I am pretty sure the res should be close to filled up:

ZrEipDG.jpg

Both of the res are filled to near the top. Yours has tons of room in it plus the air in the tubes.

By run it you have to run the water cooling loop for a while to get it to push coolant and air through it. Takes some time.

https://medium.com/@meohoh/an-ultimate-beginners-guide-to-pc-water-cooling-1dd4c68f1474

You have to run, fill, run, fill etc until it is filled up and no air exists in other areas.

Will try it right now! I will let you know if something happens! Thank you!

LaurX

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
I would almost think it is. If the pump is going it should be powerful enough to push and fill the tubes and still have a near full res.

Can you increase the speed of the pump at all?

It has only one speed while connected to PSU. If I connect to MB, it would control RPMs. So I think this means that the pump is already at it's highest setting.

May 4, 2019
With the reservoir full and sealed, and the pump running, tip the computer to ensure that the air bubbles can get out of the water blocks. Tip it so that that output sides are highest. Also do that for the radiator. Air wants to rise to the top of the tubes or reservoir or wherever, and can get trapped at local high spots. If you lay the machine on its side so that the reservoir is horizontal, and then rock the machine a bit, you may be able to get the air to accumulate in the reservoir. Also, make sure that the fluid is actually flowing. If there is air in the pump it wont work. You have a difficult plumbing situation with the pump at the bottom and radiators to both sides with the outlets higher than the reservoir.

Solution