Water loop temps and CPU temps

jdcranke07

Honorable
Hey guys, I just put in a custom water loop with 6 rads. I have an EK supremacy full nickel WB on my CPU. When I run Prime95, my CPU temps on HWMonitor and everything else jump to about 70-80'C when OC'd to 4.4Ghz on my 4790K. My loop temp sensor says the temp is about 26.5'C. Do I pay attention to the CPU temp and the loop or just one or the other?

Solution

At least from my experience and what I've read on multiple sites and threads is that the difference between copper and nickel is negligible unless you are trying to push every .1'C cooler that you can. I know that the block is at least...
Both. The loop temp tells you how hot the coolant in the loop is, you aren't going to be able to get your CPU below that temperature so if that starts getting too high its a sign you need more rads, but you also need to be aware of your CPU temp, if that is getting too high it means you are not effectively transferring heat from the CPU, through the block, to the coolant.

The latter actually seems to be the case in this scenario, you should be able to keep a 4790k wayyyy cooler than that at 4.4GHz even with a cheap cooler, confirm you are making good contact between the CPU and the water block, your radiators should be getting warm, if they are not you aren't moving heat.

jdcranke07

Honorable

Would the inner plate in the Supremacy make a huge difference from the stock one made for general use to the one EK recommended for the 115x CPUs? And this is my first Intel setup so is it difficult to sit the water block evenly on the CPU itself? I took out the general use plate, which seemed to have a bigger slot cut out, and replaced it with the one EK recommended for the 115x series. Didn't know if that would make that big of a difference.

Edit: When I run Prime95 on small FFTs temps are about 80'C, when I do the Blend test the temps hover about 49'C. And I removed all of the thermal compound and reapplied and then installed the WB again. I made sure the seat was good and even and the compound wasn't too much and spread evenly. Still same temps on Prime95.

Jcomptech

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

Nickel is not a very good heat transfering material. Copper is a lot better. Next time, try a copped water block. They are very good for temps.

jdcranke07

Honorable

At least from my experience and what I've read on multiple sites and threads is that the difference between copper and nickel is negligible unless you are trying to push every .1'C cooler that you can. I know that the block is at least seated properly and that it is cooling. It keeps temps down in the 30-38'C range at idle where with the fan cooler it would upwards of 50'C at idle. Only on stress tests does it ever go above 50'C and it will plateau at about 88-90'C at a stable 4.7Ghz OC. Flow is not interrupted and is very strong. I am using EVGA Frostbite thermal compound. Is this not a good one for heat transfer? I did see a Corsair OC'er use it for his equipment, so I figured it would be a good one. If it isn't then I can use the Arctic or EKWB compounds I have.

Solution

Latest posts