Water On Laptop

PrivilegeYT

Distinguished
Ok, so a student dropped water on my teachers Laptop which is a Toshiba something. Before she was consulted by me she tested to see if the Laptop/Notebook by turning it on which lead her to realize that the computer actually turned on but the screen would not display anything nor does it even give the sign of it even being powered by the motherboard. She has kept the laptop upside down for a while now and I advised her to keep it remaining in that position until further diagnosed. I also mentioned that she should put a towel under the laptop to if the water is still in the system to be absorbed into the towel to indicate it is still their. Before I crack this thing open should she try to find the warranty on the Laptop/Notebook first ? Also are their any other methods any other computer enthusiasts would bring to my knowledge.

Solution
Yeah you never should have tried to turn it on sorry to say. When you send power through a wet laptop something is likely to short and break. Had you let it totally dry out before trying to turn it on it may have been salvageable but now I doubt it. Im not sure if a factory warranty will cover water damage, I would take it apart and let everything dry out in front of fan or a few days then try it again if you still get nothing I would assume something shorted.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah you never should have tried to turn it on sorry to say. When you send power through a wet laptop something is likely to short and break. Had you let it totally dry out before trying to turn it on it may have been salvageable but now I doubt it. Im not sure if a factory warranty will cover water damage, I would take it apart and let everything dry out in front of fan or a few days then try it again if you still get nothing I would assume something shorted.

Solution