Question Water Pump and Fans getting stuck at RPMS, or incorrect readings

dmcguckin

Reputable
Dec 1, 2017
Hey all, been having some issues lately with my build. It's been up and running for 2 years now
2950x, GTX 1080ti, Asus Rog Strix X399-E Gaming, full water loop. EK D5 combo pump
Anyhow, when using HWInfo I am getting crazy readings on my pump and radiator fans.
BIOS has pump set to DC so it should be running at a steady 4460RPM (or close) and Rad fans are set to 30% speed across the board which sits them at around 1100RPMs.
I've gotten HWInfo rpms on my pump to the extreme of 50,000 RPMS, or like today, it is now reading 789RPM. This will just randomly occur. Also my rad fans are now reading 1420RPM, when they were solid at 1100 ish all mornings. I can't tell if they are running any faster, nor can I tell if my pump is running slower.
Previously pump was plugged into CPU fan header and radiator was Chassis 1 header. - I swapped the pump to the W_pump header and radiator fans to the CPU header to troubleshoot.
If I restart my computer things will go back to normal.
Any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated as this is driving me crazy. I feel like this is a new development - or maybe I just wasn't monitoring things before like I am now.
Day 2 -
RPM's seem to be reading correct on the fans at least - I stopped them by hand and it read at 0 - and started back up again to 1400RPM (but they should be at 1100)
Just set the BIOS to load optimized values instead of my DOCP settings for my RAM and will edit/work all day and see if I get wonky readings.
Day 3 -
Troubleshooting I reset the BIOS values to default settings with no OC, no DOCP for the RAM and standard fan curves.
This morning fans seem to be locked at like 1340 RPM. No amount of benchmarking - stress testing can make the fans go slower or faster. I can stop them by hand and they will read down to 0 RPM - however once they start moving again they will go back to the stuck 1340 RPM. Pump is still moving around 4700-4800RPM.
I'm at a loss.
A reset of the computer will always bring values and fan/pump speeds back to normal acting how they should.
Capture2.JPG.3805b127ecdc01a9a953394d772e7a4a.JPG

Pump2.JPG.16510a8d6a210bb501afb15ac4bcbe1f.JPG

Lutfij

Titan
What BIOS version are you currently running on your motherboard? The latest off of Asus's support site is 1205. If you have updates pending till you reach the latest, gradually work your way to the latest as opposed to jumping onto the latest version.

You might also want to take note of any background apps that might contribute to the anomaly with the RPM's numbers or if running another app in tandem to HWInfo triggers the issue. Also, have you tried working with HWMonitor alone? How about Asus's AI Suite III stand alone?

dmcguckin

Reputable
Dec 1, 2017
I am running the latest BIOS version. As far as anomaly's with RPMS - It's almost more than that, because when I was working with the "standard" fan curve, the fans were stuck at a certain RPM after a while. No amount of CPU usage or increasing temps would make them budge one way or another. Stopping them physically would bring them to 0 RPM, but then they would ramp right back up to the "stuck" RPM.
I removed AI Suite a while back as a first step to troubleshoot this because the fan curves were getting stuck and I thought that a possible culprit.
The only other apps that I could think of that could possibly interefere is CoreTemp and Rainmeter - but neither of them monitor or affect fan or pump speeds.
It almost seems to me a motherboard issue.