Question Water pump on usb ?

May 18, 2021
So I have this water DC pump (2.5-6V) that has black and red wire and I have a usb type A with blue and red wire.

Is it possible to connect it ? red to red and blue to black ?
Can I damage the pump that way ?

What current does the pump need? I would not be surprised if the current is higher than what a Type A 5v connection can deliver. If that is the case you could damage any USB source you connect it to.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your water pump? Is it to use to cool your PC via watercooling? If so, why are you looking at USB powering the pump and not running off of molex from the PSU?

May 18, 2021
Make and model of your water pump? Is it to use to cool your PC via watercooling? If so, why are you looking at USB powering the pump and not running off of molex from the PSU?
Its for the uni project. Drip irrigation agriculture working model.

So I wanted to make the pump connectable with usb instead of connecting it to batteries.

May 18, 2021
What current does the pump need? I would not be surprised if the current is higher than what a Type A 5v connection can deliver. If that is the case you could damage any USB source you connect it to.

Well its marked 2.5-6V

DC Voltage:2.5-6V
Maximum lift:40-110cm / 15.75"-43.4"
Flow rate:80-120L/H

water-pump.jpg

Ralston18

Titan
Sort of just following along here....

What is the intended power source?

I suggest, as I understand the circumstances, that an independently powered USB hub be used.

No need to put any computers at risk by plugging into a computer for power.

Breadboard the power connections so you can take voltage and current measurements.

The measurements might even provide some useful data to incorporate into your project. Drip rate (?) vs. Wattage etc..

Sounds fun.