"Water" vs. "Liquid" vs. "Air" cooling

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I'm (and I think a lot of people) interested in cooling. What's better,

"water" which is a self-made (distilled) water cooling system being an example,
"liquid" which is Corsair H60 being an example, or
"air", which is the most usual cooling system, stock cooler being an example*?

Of course, water is a definite winner, but "how" better is it? What makes each special, how low a temp can be with each cooler? If possible, a few benchmarks would be really nice and helpful.

*I heard that some (I think it's just 1 CPU, but may be wrong) AMD CPUs are sold with liquid cooling in a box, by default.

Solution
It goes in this order with high-end stuff :
1. Water
2. "Liquid"
3. Air

The reason why water is superior is because you usually have a custom loop that's interconnected to many radiators and a reservoir. The heat is spread equally among a bigger volume of water which results in lower temps. Closed looped liquid coolers have a limited amount of liquid to absorb the heat compared to water. Air speaks for itself.

I've always know that, if that was directed at me?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not at all. There has just been a lot of discussion in this specific thread where folks are making a case for/against the cooling solution and it always seems that one is dependent upon the other. I just wanted to toss it out there that you can do it 'just because you want to'.

Absolutely not directed at you; mainly to add it as a point of discussion as it often seems to be glossed over. My intent was to ensure that those engaged in the thread also took it into consideration. Honestly, you are the last guy here that I would feel that I have to explain that to. :)

You had already linked the guy to the information he needed, but he seemed that just wasn't enough information, because he would have to actually read it to get anything from it, and that's typical. I only got involved after seeing what his overclocking goal was for his 4790K, 6ghz yeah Right! I couldn't get 6ghz out of it with my cooling!

I've always known why you water cool you like the setup involved in it, you like the looks and the improved cooling, and you are one of the most knowledgeable regarding water cooling here!

You've actually changed my view of water cooling, because there are more reasons to do it besides just overclocking! :)

On another note;

I think the water cooling sticky consolidation was a bad idea rubix, it makes it harder for them to get to the information, the majority ignore the stickies anyway even though they're pretty much all current, consolidating them has made it even worse, IMO.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It personally wasn't my idea- I am not a huge fan of it either. I think there was a discussion one day when I wasn't available and there was a notable change in how the stickies were requested to be presented.

I'm currently pushing to get cooling separated out into sections like they used to be, so I'll definitely hang it up in there when that is updated. Not sure when that is going to be, but noticing that saint19 updated the meta-sticky, maybe he'll be OK if I remove it from there. I think people are missing some of these links altogether, but with how the forum is laid out now with tagging vs. actual structured 'walls', it isn't as much as a defined space as it once was.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Custom watercooling loops can be just about any size and volume you want. Water volume in the loop doesn't determine how well it cools, it simply allows you more time for warm ups and cool downs as well as any temp spikes as the water absorbs much more heat energy. Regardless, this means nothing if you don't have ample heat exchangers (radiators) in place to exhaust this energy into the ambient air. Heat reacts to ambient room temps the same way that the Sun heating the Earth causes wind and areas of higher and lower pressure. The greater the difference between these energies, the more efficient and quickly the energy is moved. Fans allow this by acting as an already present 'wind' to force heat exchange and dissipation from the radiator fins into the surrounding air.