[SOLVED] Watercooled CPU running at 100c

MassiGest

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017
Hi there!

Sorry if this is a bit of a long post with unnecessary details but I'm trying to give you as much info as possible to maybe give you and idea on how to fix my issue. TL;DR: At the bottom.Also, i made some stupid mistakes during this story so feel free to make fun of them.

Anyway.I'm stuck with a bit of a problem with my desktop, as you could've guessed from the title, my CPU is running at 100c and i don't know why.

Here's the list of the essential hardware:

• CPU: i7 7700k (running stock)
    MOBO: Msi Gaming Pro Z270 (non carbon version)
    AIO: NZXT Kraken x62
    Case: NZXT S340 Elite

And here is the story:

I am quite a tech savvy guy as i do almost all the IT at home, this includes building/maintaining my desktop. I've had it with this hardware for about a year.

A friend of mine who is also into technology got a new M.2 SSD for his laptop and wanted to clone his OS to his new SSD. My MOBO had two M.2 slots and i like helping people out so i gladly offered my system to use.

Once arrived at my house he gave me the SSD's. I did all the hardware work on my desktop so he is not responsible for any of this.

My top M.2 slot had an adjustable standoff which was one off to the left, so i wanted to move it.

Mistake No.1:

I thought the standoff was screwed on from the backside of the MOBO (Literally no standoff I've ever seen has this) so i removed the screw around that position.

This fell inside of the case somewhere and i couldn't find it. So i waited with searching until the cloning was done. This screw turned out to be attached to the IO cover, which luckily was still stuck in place.

After the cloning was done i tried to look for the screw. No luck. So here comes:

Mistake No.2:
I started to furiously shake my PC(with all IO and power disconnected of course. I'm not an idiot.) in every direction possible. This thankfully gave my back my screw, which i returned to it's rightful screw hole.

So when my friend went home i re slotted my SSD and booted up, and for some reason my PC was running slow. So, as a normal person i made:

Mistake No.3:
I assumed it was a cache issue because of all the swapping and rebooting. So i just started up a game, but that was running at 15 fps with a lot of lag spikes. So running that for half an hour probably wasn't the best of ideas.

So i decided to check task manager and CAM (NZXT's hardware monitor) And my fans started revving up to maximum overload, with the message that my liquid temperature was too hot. I checked the temps and to my surprise, my CPU was running at 99c and my Kraken liquid was 62c. My PC also didn't shut down at all. It just thermal throttles my CPU.

Thinking that it could be a broken sensor i decided to check the back of my MOBO. This was hot to the touch (i stupidly didn't discharge myself, but i got lucky). I also checked with a laser thermometer. This gave around 66c. Which could seem right, since it isn't directly on the CPU.

I shut down my PC and let it cool off for a while, with the assist of a room fan. Once nice and cool i called my friend on discord through my phone and we tried to solve it together.

This time i booted into the UEFI, but sadly i could see the temps rising to 100c. But i could hear my pump make a bit of a popping sound, like slurping the last bit of lemonade through a straw. This confirmed bubbles of course.
My friend suggested positioning my PC right so i could let the bubbles float out of the pump and to the radiator. This thankfully worked. No more bubbles! Yay! End of story!

Nope. The temps are still high. Although they aren't as high(88-92). But still not acceptable.
So here are some things that i thing could've caused it:

• Bubbles, still.
    Cooler lost contact with the CPU.
    Sensor is broken.
    Cooler might be broken somewhere internally.
    Cables might've disconnected somewhere?

Some final notes:
I'm at school right now, so i can't check anything atm.
Maybe my cooler is still withing warranty and i could get that replaced.
If i made some mistakes, please point them out, thank you

I'm planning to disassemble my PC entirely and reassemble. But I'm gonna have to order some cooling paste first.

So until then. Do you guys know what could've caused this? Or how i can solve it?

TL;DR:

I shaked my desktop to find a screw which cause bubbles in the pump and make my CPU run at 100c. Moved the bubbles to radiator but temps are still high. Don't know what causes my issue or how to solve it.

Solution
I tend to think the screw didn't cause anything.

I think with the water cooling....it can only be one of four things.
1.) Heat exchanger not snug
2.) Air in the system
3.) Coolant not flowing
4.) Fans on radiator not working or radiator blocked somehow.

So I would go through these four things.
I tend to think the screw didn't cause anything.

I think with the water cooling....it can only be one of four things.
1.) Heat exchanger not snug
2.) Air in the system
3.) Coolant not flowing
4.) Fans on radiator not working or radiator blocked somehow.

So I would go through these four things.

Solution

MassiGest

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017
I also don't think the screw caused anything directly, id i didn't drop that screw i wouldn't have shook the case, which could've caused it.

As for the heat exchanger, it could be possible, but it is mounted tight so shaking shouldn't loosen it i think. But removing and reattaching should fix that.

Air in the system is sadly true, but i've moved that to the top of the resevoir/radiator which hopefully let's the pump do its job.

The coolant thing might be a good one, but i have no clue on how to check that out.

And the fans. They all work perfectly fine, so it's an internal thing probably.

So i think i'm gonna remount, and if that doesn't work, i might replace it if the warranty is still active.