Watercooled i7 3770k idling at 100C degrees

Cosmin_16

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
For some reason the cpu idles at 100c when its not under load. This is causing my computer to run very slow.

Even when the cpu is on load, such as when I play some overwatch, the temperature doesnt really change, always stays around 100C.

while idling the cpu utilization is 7-12%.

The OS is windows 10, I did a full reset (not reinstallation) and it seemed to make it idle around 85C, but now a few days later its back at 100C.

Mobo: msi mpower z77

Would appreciate any help.
thanks
The cooler is a h100i, I replaced the thermal paste with no results.

Harsh_11

Commendable
May 9, 2016
Check if the pump is working. I have i7 7700k on air cooler and idle is 31-33C. Those temperature are indicating a faulty cooler. Also reset your bios to auto if you have changed values there. See if this helps.

as mentioned, the most probable reason (over 90%) is that the pump in that crap cooler is not running. Easy check is the pump RPM reported by the header that the 3pin connector from the cooler is connected to.

If the pump seems to be running, there are other things that could happen to your AiO.
1. check that there are no kinks on tubing
2. check that the radiator is mounted horizontally on top of the case or vertically in front of the case with tubes on lower part of the rad

Cosmin_16

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
The pump is completely fine, running at 2200 rpm, nothing is wrong with the cooler.
I have also loaded the mobo settings to the default ones, didn't do anything..

well, there is something wrong with the cooler (broken CPU is very rare these days).
how old is your cooler ?
the mounting thing is important as if there is an air pocket in the rad near the outlet, it might severely limit or even completely block the liquid flow.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Well something is clearly wrong if you are hitting TJ max at idle, the cooler is not doing much if anything at all to cool that cpu if you are seeing temps like that. The only possibilities I can think of are the pump is not working at all, you have it mounted wrong, or you are not using any thermal paste at all.

you don't see, because it's sealed. you have no means to SEE the liquid circulation with this thing.
try to unmount the cooler and hold it vertically with tubes down - still no luck, try some other cooler - whatever air or liquid compatible you find.
if other cooler solves, RMA - you have 5 year warranty.

Cosmin_16

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
The pump is mounted well from what I can see, rigid. Also, the backplate of the cooler looks fine to me, It has washers which I have added since it wasnt tight enough, it all looks fine though.