Watercooled R9 290X or GTX 780?

ready4round

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Is a Watercooled R9 290X a better option over GTX 780?
As R9 290X is 3000 rupees cheaper than the GTX 780 (priced at 40,500) where i live, i thought of getting the AMD card and water cool it. Will i be able to overclock it without worrying about the heat and its performance or should i get GTX 780 and use it with the stock cooler?

RulesSpew

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Past few weeks the price for 290X has increased. It is still the best AMD GPU lol and with Water Cooling you will be able to use it's full potential.
On 780 you can put a max temperature and go as high as you can in overclocking, till you hit that temperature. That is pretty cool.

AMD cards are also getting better in some video editing, open CL that AMD cards offer is great with Sony Vegas.
But if you like working with After Effects or some other ADOBE programmes, 780 is for you with a huge 2.5K about of cuda cores

290x with water cooling will have better performance than a 780 with stock.
Yes, watercooled 290x is a better option than GTX 780.

Performance wise, the 290x will be better for the price in most games even, and once overclocked will be pretty good.

The 780 is the primary choice in north america for gaming due to the increase in price of the amd cards.

You will be able to get a bit more performance out of the 290x when watercooled...but not quite as much as you might hope. It appears that it was limited by more than just the thermal limit and still does not overclock overly well on watercooling.

so for you, i would still say the 290x because it is cheaper than the 780. if the 780 were cheaper or the same price, i would recommend that one

ready4round

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Not a problem for me putting in 3000 bucks and getting GTX 780. Are there any issues overclocking with the stock cooler? Maybe i could use water cooling on GTX in future

redeemer

Distinguished

The only thing I do not like about non reference cooling the lack of VRM cooling on 90% of them, this is why I like the reference blower design on the GTX 700 series.

surprisingly a lot of reference coolers do cool the vram (the 480,580, and 680 have all had vrm contact on their coolers for the reference models). what is nice is that the internet is so fast, you can literally just google "does ***** have vrm cooling" and you will be able to see if an aftermarket cooler has vrm cooling or not. Typically, since core overclocking yields more, non reference design coolers focus on that instead of trying to cool the vram for better memory overclocking

caj

Distinguished

Agreed. its rather sad to chase after a 290x which is expensive compared to the 780ti & offers much lesser performance. personally the 4gb ram & 512 bus bit Interests me but the 290x temps are rather appalling