Question Watercooling Bublles (Custom)

Jun 30, 2019
Hello,
A while ago i made a brand new watercooling loop in my system. It runs on destilled water, and has tho additives added so the loop isn't conductive and there wont grow any ages. At fist there were no problems in the loop, everything worked fine. but after a week or two, random bubbles started to form in my loop. They apear when the water flows through my cpu block, and make a irritating noise. I already drained and refilled my loop wice, but that only resulted in a temporary fix. Does anyone know what the problem is.

ps, yes i made sure therw were no mixed metals in my loop, also there are no leaks, and all my fittings are thight

Specs:
CPU:Amd Ryzen 7 1700
GPU: Gtx 1060
Ram: 16gigs on 3200mhz
Mainboard: Gigabyte aurorus b450 pro
CPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series RGB
Pump: Alphacool Eisbecher D5 250mm Acetal reservoir incl. 1x Alphacool Eispumpe VPP755 V.3
Addtive 1: https://www.highflow.nl/watercooling/koelvloeistof/anti-algues-corrosion/mayhems-biocide-15ml.html
additive 2 :https://www.highflow.nl/watercooling/koelvloeistof/anti-algues-corrosion/mayhems-inhibitor-15ml.html
Radiator: Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 360mm radiator V.2

Do you leave your computer on 24/7 or turn it off at night? Depending on what tube and how tight you get everything there will be evaporation from the system, so while there isnt a leak anywhere you may still be loosing water.

Is the reservoir the highest point in the loop? If not then when you turn your computer off, water will drain down and be replaced with air at the highest point. When turning the computer back on the pump will force the air out of the highest point and create micro bubble that will start to collect in areas.

From what it sounds like the CPU block is the highest point or has a better flow for drain back and you get a air bubble in the block.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It runs on destilled water, and has tho additives added so the loop isn't conductive and there wont grow any ages

Untrue. Constant contact with metals will cause distilled water to become ionized and will become conductive over time. The additives you have listed will only prevent growth, like from algae. It will not make the coolant non-conductive.

At fist there were no problems in the loop, everything worked fine. but after a week or two, random bubbles started to form in my loop. They apear when the water flows through my cpu block, and make a irritating noise. I already drained and refilled my loop wice, but that only resulted in a temporary fix. Does anyone know what the problem is.

This is natural. As water moves through your loop, it will displace air pockets and bubbles from your radiators and other places internally. You should not have to keep emptying and re-filling the loop. Just displace the water in the radiator as air becomes trapped there (which is the point). In fact, draining and refilling the loop does not correct this...you effectively reset it and cause it to occur again.

Actually your waterfall may be putting air in the system, as the water cascades it traps air and forces it into the water. If your pump intake sucks air with the water then you get bubbles. If you have no drips with system shut off and still get air, I have seen a loose connection on suction side pull air into the system.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'm still confused as to what this waterfall is?

If the reservoir is filled completely to the top (which it really should not be - there should be some air space), the only way there is a waterfall sound is if you have the return line going into the top port of the reservoir or you have a vertical radiator and there is still a volume of air within it.

Can you explain what you mean by the 'waterfall'?

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
It does sound like the return port is on the top of the reservoir creating the waterfall. In an aquarium with fish that would be ideal, but in a watercooling setup it's not. :)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yeah, often it is better to use the bottom return to prevent either whirlpooling or excessive aeration or cavitation of the return stream. It looks neat, but is more detrimental than it is beneficial.

Jun 30, 2019
yeah, quick update,

today i completely redisigned my loop, the intake is now at the bottom, and it works better then ever

thank you all for the help

(btw the waterfall was water falling down from the top intake, it had a special attachement zo the water would split in difrent derections making it fancy xD)