[SOLVED] Watercooling connection

jq0213

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
I connted my CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite's pump to one of the CPU_FAN headers. Did I do that right, because some threads say you need to connect it to CHA_FAN

Solution
Asus ROG b450-F
Simple AIO coolers like that require pump to run full speed all the time. That's what " AIO_PUMP connector" on the MB is for, plug pump in there.
CHA_Fan could be substituted but has to be set for full speed.
Radiator fan(s) to CPU_FAN header and you are set.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unfortunately, the manual for that AIO system uses no words, so it's not clear where they recommend you plug it in. Ideally, BOTH the pump unit and the rad fan should be connected to a CPU_FAN or CPU_OPT header, and there are ways to do that, depending on what your mobo has. Tell us the maker and exact model of your mobo so we can look up its details and advise.

jq0213

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
Unfortunately, the manual for that AIO system uses no words, so it's not clear where they recommend you plug it in. Ideally, BOTH the pump unit and the rad fan should be connected to a CPU_FAN or CPU_OPT header, and there are ways to do that, depending on what your mobo has. Tell us the maker and exact model of your mobo so we can look up its details and advise.
Asus ROG b450-F

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
CountMike is right. Just a bit of added info for you.

Fan headers have three functions: provide power, control speed, and monitor for failure of the connected device. Connecting as above will do the first two items for both the pump and the rad fan. In the case of the pump, that AIO_PUMP header will always run the pump at full speed as required, and the CPU_FAN header will control the rad fan speed according to the temperature measured by a sensor inside the CPU chip. Regarding the failure detection functions, both headers will monitor the speed signals they receive back from their connected devices. If either of them has NO speed signal, that is interpreted as a failure and a warning message will pop up on your screen so you can take action. SOME mobos (don't know about yours) may take action on their own without waiting for a long time. Anticipating CPU overheating with no cooling, they may actually shut down your system without waiting for the internal CPU temp sensor to show high CPU temps. In an AIO system, the pump is the more important of those two for this monitoring. So doing a CountMike says will accomplish all of this.

Reactions: CountMike

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
i have the same problem as op dont know if i should make a new thread but i'll post here first unless some1 tell me to make a new one. my d5 pump instruction say i can connect the pwn connector to my motherboard’s CPU_ Fan or designated water pump header. but my motherboard have a W_pump header and the motherboard manuals say if you have a water cooling kit connect it to aio pump header so which header should i plug my d5 pump to?

i have the same problem as op dont know if i should make a new thread but i'll post here first unless some1 tell me to make a new one. my d5 pump instruction say i can connect the pwn connector to my motherboard’s CPU_ Fan or designated water pump header. but my motherboard have a W_pump header and the motherboard manuals say if you have a water cooling kit connect it to aio pump header so which header should i plug my d5 pump to?
To W_PUMP but they are usually adjustable so if your pump needs to run full power you will have to adjust it manually.
But.... yours is more of a custom cooler just in kit form so you may want to experiment with pump speeds.
Some rule of thumb is, if pump is 3 pin, run it at full speed, if 4 pin it's meant to be adjustable.

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
To W_PUMP but they are usually adjustable so if your pump needs to run full power you will have to adjust it manually.
But.... yours is more of a custom cooler just in kit form so you may want to experiment with pump speeds.
Some rule of thumb is, if pump is 3 pin, run it at full speed, if 4 pin it's meant to be adjustable.

mines a 4 pin so it ment to be adjusted right? so i put it in w_pump so i can adjust it?

Last edited: