Question Watercooling help needed

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Heya folks,

I am going to be building a gaming PC soon. I will be playing games like Overwatch, Minecraft (w/ shaders), Diablo 3 and lots of FPS shooters. I am going with a 9700k and a 2080. I will be using the Corsair 1000D case but I was wondering if anyway could help me with watercooling. I am a complete noob so need all the help I can get. I don't know what fittings, tubing, pump, res and all that kind of stuff. I will only be cooling the CPU not the GPU.

OTHER SPECS:
MOBO - Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula
STORAGE - Samsung 860 Evo 500GB and Seagate barracuda HDD 1TB
CPU - Intel Core i7-9700k
RAM - HyperX Predator RGB 32GB @3200mhz
PSU - EVGA Supernova 850w G3
CASE - Corsair Obsidian 1000D
CASE FANS - Corsair HD120 x9

Thanks in advance,
Fate05

May 4, 2019
My 17-9700k runs fine on a Corsair 100i AIO The processor needs a 240 mm radiator to stay reasonable at load. Mine is at 75C OC to 5.0 GHz all 8 threads running mixed FFT load.
Can't help with the 2080, as mine is not used for gaming.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
My 17-9700k runs fine on a Corsair 100i AIO The processor needs a 240 mm radiator to stay reasonable at load. Mine is at 75C OC to 5.0 GHz all 8 threads running mixed FFT load.
Can't help with the 2080, as mine is not used for gaming.

I was thinking about getting an AIO but then I thought why not get a custom waterloop cos it looks badass

May 4, 2019
Well then you will need 240 mm radiator for the i7 and another for the graphics card if you going to water cool it. If you want to splurge, allow 280 or 320 for each. Your case has lots of room, although I'm not sure how good the air flow is - I'm suspicious of all these cases with plexiglass where air inlets/outlets should be.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If you're looking for anything watercooling, I'm here to help, but I would recommend reading through the watercooling sticky. While it is a little outdated in terms of some of the components used as reference, the overall concept is still exactly the same. Linked below in my signature line.

Like you, I have a 9700k and a RTX 2080 and they are both fully watercooled. Let me know if you have any questions.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
If you're looking for anything watercooling, I'm here to help, but I would recommend reading through the watercooling sticky. While it is a little outdated in terms of some of the components used as reference, the overall concept is still exactly the same. Linked below in my signature line.

Like you, I have a 9700k and a RTX 2080 and they are both fully watercooled. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey man. I thinking I found my parts after doing some internet browsing but I'm always up for help on watercooling lmao. I just wasn't sure if I needed double pumps or 2 reservoir and all that kinda stuff. Add me in discord and we can chat on there if you want? Fate#2964

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This all depends on what you are trying to accomplish and whether you have a budget or not...as well as the room inside the case.

I am already on the Tom's Hardware Discord, but I would prefer to not have to address individual requests individually. I should start charging people for the time I spend doing consulting like that.

Iirc the 1000d has about all the space you could ever need for watercooling. As far as dual pumps/reservoir, for the components your cooling, I don't think it necessary other than if you wanted that look. Of course rubix will know more, but in my opinion, not needed.

What parts have you chosen so far for your build? In my loop I use a mix if xspc and ek. Only thing I would change, other than maybe the case, wouldve been getting a d5 pump vs the one I have. Though I have had zero issues, it moves plenty of coolant, and most important keeps everything cool!

To me that's a crazy amount of radiator for what you're trying to cool. You'll eventually reach a point of diminishing return, or the point when more rad space doesn't actually equal more cooling. Unless you plan on adding another gpu, or a hotter cpu, 2x 360 Would still be in overkill territory. Any reason other than aesthetics you want to run such large radiators?

I just reread your opening post. So you only want to cool the cpu and not the Gpu? If that's the case, you don't need 960mm of radiator for just a cpu, imo. You'll just be wasting money at that point and see zero advantage. Even if cooling both cpu and gpu, that's more than you'll need. I run 600mm worth, and it's more than enough. I'd honestly recommend a smaller loop, and a single radiator.

Last edited:
As big as that case is, some of the photos I have seen look like it could be difficult to get larger loop builds done, but for what is being asked, should be more than enough.
Have you ever seen paulshardware riptide build? While some custom mounting may be in order, you can fit silly amounts of gear in that case. Like you said, more than enough for a 9700k/2080 build for sure!

May 4, 2019
I can't imagine having a problem getting everything into that case. It has room for a 240 on the back and room on top for a 420 and in front for 2 480s. Might have trouble fitting the LN2 liquification plant, though.:)

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
To me that's a crazy amount of radiator for what you're trying to cool. You'll eventually reach a point of diminishing return, or the point when more rad space doesn't actually equal more cooling. Unless you plan on adding another gpu, or a hotter cpu, 2x 360 Would still be in overkill territory. Any reason other than aesthetics you want to run such large radiators?

I just reread your opening post. So you only want to cool the cpu and not the Gpu? If that's the case, you don't need 960mm of radiator for just a cpu, imo. You'll just be wasting money at that point and see zero advantage. Even if cooling both cpu and gpu, that's more than you'll need. I run 600mm worth, and it's more than enough. I'd honestly recommend a smaller loop, and a single radiator.

So I just had an idea. I could get away with x1 420mm on the top for both the CPU and GPU. I decided I will cool the GPU as well =)

That could definitely work. Though I'd still front mount, to take advantage of cooler intake air. Instead of exhausting through the rad. I do like a dual rad setup, but not for one component. Since you've decided to do both, x2 360 Would also work. Or even 1 360 and 1 240. That's how mine is, but you have much more room.

I'll also highly suggest going with an ek block for the gpu, very nice and high quality.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
That could definitely work. Though I'd still front mount, to take advantage of the cooler intake air. Instead of exhausting through the rad. I do like a dual rad setup, but not for one component. Since you've decided to do both, x2 360 Would also work. Or even 1 360 and 1 240. That's how mine is, but you have much more room.

I'll also highly suggest going with an Ek block for the GPU, very nice and high quality.

I was thinking of getting the AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 or 2080ti XTREME WaterForce WB instead of getting the backplate and waterblock because it is cheaper and looks good still. Oh and for cooling I decided I am going to cool my CPU and GPU. I was thinking one 420mm rad and a 120mm rad would be good or would you not recommend that?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/watercooling.3488185/#post-21083676

What look are you going for? I'd not front mount a single rad, that case is built for 2 seperate lines if 4x120mm fans, so mounting 2x rads side by side would look better symmetry-wise. But a single top 420mm would be fine for cpu/gpu. That's @ 650-700w capability, far more than the combined output of the 2x components. As I said in the other post, your look will determine what you'll get. You could do anything you want to in that case, far more than what's simply necessary. You could do dual reservoir, dual loop, dual pump, anything really, limited only by budget and imagination.

But first you need to decide what you want the build to look like, then you can decide on what rad(s), pump(s), reservoir(s) fittings, tubing you'll need to accomplish that.

Personally, from experience, soft tube is better for beginners, hard tube looks better, but unless you have some talent there, bending pipe with a heat gun and doing it kink/bubble free is not an easy thing to learn.

Parts, as said, is easy. You'll need 2x fittings per component. 1 for input, 1 for output. So 2 for pump, 2 for rad, 2 for cpu, 2 for gpu, 2 for reservoir (unless you go combo then just 2 for that). Type of fitting is determined by type of tubing. And size of tubing.

As said, go find some builds online, pictures, ideas and plan out the build on paper, in your head, on the pc. You'll need an idea of where the flow direction will take the pipes, so you'll know if you need straight fittings, angle fittings, 90° fittings for anything.

Nobody can say 'hey, get this list of stuff' and have it work, a nice, easy pat answer, doesn't work that way. You need to have your build plan in mind, and it's your design, before you go shopping for the first item. Without that plan, you'll be buying a ton of stuff you don't need, can't use or is useless in the end.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019

What look are you going for? I'd not front mount a single rad, that case is built for 2 seperate lines if 4x120mm fans, so mounting 2x rads side by side would look better symmetry-wise. But a single top 420mm would be fine for cpu/gpu. That's @ 650-700w capability, far more than the combined output of the 2x components. As I said in the other post, your look will determine what you'll get. You could do anything you want to in that case, far more than what's simply necessary. You could do dual reservoir, dual loop, dual pump, anything really, limited only by budget and imagination.

But first you need to decide what you want the build to look like, then you can decide on what rad(s), pump(s), reservoir(s) fittings, tubing you'll need to accomplish that.

Personally, from experience, soft tube is better for beginners, hard tube looks better, but unless you have some talent there, bending pipe with a heat gun and doing it kink/bubble free is not an easy thing to learn.

Parts, as said, is easy. You'll need 2x fittings per component. 1 for input, 1 for output. So 2 for pump, 2 for rad, 2 for cpu, 2 for gpu, 2 for reservoir (unless you go combo then just 2 for that). Type of fitting is determined by type of tubing. And size of tubing.

As said, go find some builds online, pictures, ideas and plan out the build on paper, in your head, on the pc. You'll need an idea of where the flow direction will take the pipes, so you'll know if you need straight fittings, angle fittings, 90° fittings for anything.

Nobody can say 'hey, get this list of stuff' and have it work, a nice, easy pat answer, doesn't work that way. You need to have your build plan in mind, and it's your design, before you go shopping for the first item. Without that plan, you'll be buying a ton of stuff you don't need, can't use or is useless in the end.

I agree a lot tbh. What is dual loop? I can't find the differences between dual and single. I just want something that can cool my CPU and GPU for now and look great while doing it. I think I am just gonna go with a single pump, single res, soft tubing 10/16 sizing and compression fittings 10/16 sizing. I have one question as well though. With my motherboard, what is up with the water cooling hole at the top? Is that to cool the VRM's? Because if so is it worth it?

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019

Hey man. I decided I am just gonna go full out and thought who cares. I am going to cool an 9900k with a Aorus Waterforce 2080 ti pre installed Waterblock and go with the Asus ROG maximus xi extreme mobo. I think I am going to go with EK for CPU block, pump, res and all that. Thanks for all the help though man!

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, that's what the water hole is for on the mobo, cooling the circuitry surrounding the socket. They have integrated heatsinks for that, so it's not necessary, but for those who are going custom loop, it's an option.

With AIO's and FCL, the one thing lacking is the bleed air you get from an aircooler, no breeze over that circuitry, which can make for higher temps on those items when pushing higher OC. Cryorig got around that by actually including a fan on the pump in their A40/A80 designs, but no one else has done so. So that's a consideration when liquid cooling. Less reliance on the motherboard ground plane to absorb radiant heat.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
For my 9700k and 2080, I am running 2x EK Coolstream 240 radiators and I'm finding it is more than enough to cool my loop, although I am not currently overclocking anything - for me, I have no need at this point in time.

I would agree that having dual 480's is extreme - 1 would do well, but if you wanted to add another radiator, I really don't see a downside other than the cost of doing so. Your coolant delta will be nice and low, but you can't get to ambient or below, just FYI.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Yes, that's what the water hole is for on the mobo, cooling the circuitry surrounding the socket. They have integrated heatsinks for that, so it's not necessary, but for those who are going custom loop, it's an option.

With AIO's and FCL, the one thing lacking is the bleed air you get from an aircooler, no breeze over that circuitry, which can make for higher temps on those items when pushing higher OC. Cryorig got around that by actually including a fan on the pump in their A40/A80 designs, but no one else has done so. So that's a consideration when liquid cooling. Less reliance on the motherboard ground plane to absorb radiant heat.

So for the formula mobo, do I need to fill it or attach anything to it?