[SOLVED] Watercooling with glycol and stainless

Sep 20, 2020
In one life I'm a brewer and distiller with a focus on process piping. Water cooling is the same function used to regulate fermentation temperatures but we add a small percentage of food grade glycol. I've never built a watercooling system and I'm intrigued and was considering incorporating materials readily used from the beverage industry. An addition of glycol at 35% allows a chiller with enough cooling capacity to hold at or below freezing and remain liquid. I envisioned stainless piping with tri-clover or dinn sanitary fittings for each pipe and elbow.

Can watercooling pumps and radiators handle the viscosity? Are there any cooling systems with any sizable btu transfers?

I'm still reading up on the basics of water blocks but I'm thinking I'd like to purchase a pre-fabbed item for the cpu/gpu for now. How could someone transition from a block port to a triclover ferrule?

I can't build the pc I want with the parts out of stock but damnit I will keep myself busy!

Solution
In addition, unless you are out on the hairy edge of overclocking, "colder" does not mean better performance.
A CPU or GPU will give full performance, right up until the throttle temperature.

A system such as you describe would be good proof of concept, or bragging rights in the uber OC benchmark world.

kanewolf

Titan
In one life I'm a brewer and distiller with a focus on process piping. Water cooling is the same function used to regulate fermentation temperatures but we add a small percentage of food grade glycol. I've never built a watercooling system and I'm intrigued and was considering incorporating materials readily used from the beverage industry. An addition of glycol at 35% allows a chiller with enough cooling capacity to hold at or below freezing and remain liquid. I envisioned stainless piping with tri-clover or dinn sanitary fittings for each pipe and elbow.

Can watercooling pumps and radiators handle the viscosity? Are there any cooling systems with any sizable btu transfers?

I'm still reading up on the basics of water blocks but I'm thinking I'd like to purchase a pre-fabbed item for the cpu/gpu for now. How could someone transition from a block port to a triclover ferrule?

I can't build the pc I want with the parts out of stock but damnit I will keep myself busy!
Sub ambient cooling is not usually desirable for PCs. Maintaining near ambient temps is the goal.

USAFRet

Titan
In addition, unless you are out on the hairy edge of overclocking, "colder" does not mean better performance.
A CPU or GPU will give full performance, right up until the throttle temperature.

A system such as you describe would be good proof of concept, or bragging rights in the uber OC benchmark world.

Solution