Question Watermark evaporation mark on 3900X

Mar 14, 2020
Freshly unboxed retail R9 3900X shows signs of have having cleaned (poorly I might add) or water damage maybe. I'm fearful this CPU could have been pre-binned (and obviously rejected).

Could more experienced folk please have a look ? Link to photo below. Many thanks.

CPU photo

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Freshly unboxed retail R9 3900X shows signs of have having cleaned (poorly I might add) or water damage maybe. I'm fearful this CPU could have been pre-binned (and obviously rejected).

Could more experienced folk please have a look ? Link to photo below. Many thanks.

CPU photo
Where did you purchase it from? It certainly shouldn't look like that but doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with it.

CPU photo

Not sure what you're getting on about 'pre-binned' but processor dies are all prebinned; that's how they determined which go to which processor line. But even after assembly into a CPU they're tested before shipping.

A little water spot left over from their cleaning shouldn't be a problem, I'd wipe it of with a some water and paper towel and use it. The only concern is if it's actually a tray processor that was sold as retail packaged since you don't get warranty from AMD for them, but if serial checks out I assume you mean with AMD for valid retail warranty.

But you can return it if you want to; Amazon should have a pretty good return policy.