Waterproof, Dustproof Version of the Galaxy S4 Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I can't recommend anyone to get the phone unless it is the octa-core Exynos 5. battery life is a huge issue with all the new phones and the octa-core Exynos 5 has 4 low powered CPUs and 4 High powered CPUs. I want my phone to last more than 1 damn day please!

traxter69

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I am interested in the waterproof/dust proof version of the S4 but the main reason I want to get the S4 is the Knox security software but I read that is will not be available at launch and they are shooting for sometime in July.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'd gladly pay more for a waterproof version of a phone, the s4 looks nice but i would want to see some reviews of the "tougher" product and some torture tests before i'd shell out the extra $. also woudl be nice if they did this to all their lines, give me a rugged note 3 when that comes out with waterproof/dustproofing and all i will sya is shut up and take my money

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011

You base this on what experience?

non-Exynos S4 did just fine on battery endurance.
http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-battery-tests-are-done-heres-how-it-did/

International version with Exynos SoC will probably not have compatible LTE bands :\ ...

On another note they need to stop using the phrase "_proof", resistant fits much better.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

There have been zero review numbers that show the Exynos octa version will have significantly better/different battery life than the Snapdragon version.

Besides, my LG Optimus G has the quad S4 Pro and its battery lasts more than 1 day (especially after the long-awaited system update that LG finally rolled out). 2 days with conservative web-browsing and video-watching.

My speculation is regardless of the CPU variant, they'll have roughly the same battery life, and likely won't amount to more than a day if the user is browsing the web a lot, or playing lots of games and movies.

n1tr0

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
I haven't been wow'd by the camera in the Samsung phones, but offering an S4 that I can mount to the handlebars of my motorcycle... I'm sold ! That I want to buy before summer !

InvalidError

Titan

When browsing or watching videos, most of the power is usually consumed by the backlight/OLED unless the pages have CPU-guzzling JScript or the video is using software decode... so we are pretty much already there for those two common uses.

For games though, it may take a while for everything to become sufficiently more power-efficient and batteries to achieve high enough power densities to pack a whole day worth of that in a single charge.

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
When I had the Optimus G I had battery life of around 28-30hrs.
My Galaxy Note 2 I currently use I routinely get 50+Hours on single charge.
My Galaxy S3 International Unlocked Quad Core version I was able to get 2 days of battery average over the course of 3 months before it was stolen.
I bought a Galaxy S3 North America Dual Core Version and batter on that barely 24 hours.
Im on a wait list to get me a International Galaxy S4 Octo-Core as soon as they can get them over here. And I will be picking up the Sprint Version of the American version of the Galaxy S4 on Saturday. Ill probably post in the forums about how good the batter is or is not.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Game changer from Samsung!
I hope they can do it in a chassis that looks better or at least is as close to the current model. Most "water proof", "tough" phones look like tonka toys, bulky and put the "ug" in ugly.

G

Quote from article: "The UK, for example, will get a quad-core Galaxy S4 while the North American market will get the octa-core version talked about at the New York City launch in March."
This is backwards. The UK is getting the exynos 5 octa and North America is getting the quad core snapdragon 600.

G

Quote from article: "The UK, for example, will get a quad-core Galaxy S4 while the North American market will get the octa-core version talked about at the New York City launch in March."
This is backwards. The UK is getting the exynos 5 octa and North America is getting the quad core snapdragon 600.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
The UK, for example, will get a quad-core Galaxy S4 while the North American market will get the octa-core version
I'm pretty sure that's backwards. The US never gets the "good stuff" compared to European and Asian countries. Everywhere I've read has stated, "Quad-core 1.9 GHz Krait 300" for the US S4.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Since when are Canadian wireless carriers offering a quad core version. Bell, Telus and Rogers say their offering is a quad core 1.9 GHz version. Saying North American carriers are going to be offering quad core might actually be just the US carriers?

Status
Not open for further replies.