[SOLVED] watt needs for my pc

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
i have a rig from cyberpower with a 130w motherboard, 130w i7-3820, a 240gb ssd, and a 640gb had. I am looking to upgrade to 32gb of ram and an rx570 XXX 4gb. The power supply just failed so I am replacing with Thermaltake 700w 80+white. is this enough for my system, if not what would you recommend (I should also mention that the stock power supply was a corsair 850w)

Solution
I have owned a 600w TT Smart I got secondhand for insanely cheap. I had no issues, but I never really stressed it much as it was powering low-end hardware from like 15 years ago. The extra wattage is not really needed from the Thermaltake, so you are basically paying $10 more for a couple of years more warranty.

I have a 600w EVGA 80+ coming in the mail that I ordered from BestBuy last night. I bought it specifically for an RX570 system, but only as a last resort as nothing else was in that budget. Mainly I bought it since it should be fine and I just need it to flip a PC where the buyer won't know care about

The unit should work fine without causing a disaster like I said, however, It's not ideal and the short warranty really tells...

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
I would recommend a solid 550w power supply.

A Corsair CX550 or CX550m or better is usually a good place to start.
is the Thermaltake I am planning to use sufficient? even under a heavy load like GTA V at 1080p with max settings? I ordered this one:https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thermaltake-smart-700w-atx-80-plus-power-supply-black/6339087.p?skuId=6339087
I have also seen posts on other forums saying that the card needs 750w+ I should also mention that I want juice leftover for case lights, USB, etc

Last edited:
is the Thermaltake I am planning to use sufficient? even under a heavy load like GTA V at 1080p with max settings? I ordered this one:https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thermaltake-smart-700w-atx-80-plus-power-supply-black/6339087.p?skuId=6339087
I have also seen posts on other forums saying that the card needs 750w+ I should also mention that I want juice leftover for case lights, USB, etc

No you won't need 750W+ for a RX 570... that's ridiculous.

Here's an actual power consumption overview:

RX 570 power consumption

During gaming the GPU will draw around 160W, your CPU has a 130W TDP + 100W or less for the others. You are looking at around 400W of total system power consumption during the worst scenarios.

The power output of the PSU isn't as important as the actual quality of the components, topology, voltage stability, efficiency, etc.

I'd much rather take the Corsair CX550 that @NightHawkRMX recommended over that low quality Thermaltake Smart you've just bought.

Is a low quality PSU using an old design(group regulated) compared to the newer DC-DC platform used by the Corsair CX(not to mention decent quality components compared to the thermaltake).

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020
Go for a 750w gold from whoever you want as long as they have a good reputation. This will make upgradability easy and won't bottleneck your sistem with time. Also, why do you have 32gb of ram when you have a bottlenecking GPU?

Reactions: jacklevics

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
Go for a 750w gold from whoever you want as long as they have a good reputation. This will make upgradability easy and won't bottleneck your sistem with time. Also, why do you have 32gb of ram when you have a bottlenecking GPU?
the 32 gigs of ram is because I had the DIMMs laying around and its cool, no I'm not paying to upgrade to 32, 16 is good

all the forums say that EVGA is great quality
Are these the same forums that said an RX570 needs 750+ watts, which is double what the manufacturer says?

You cannot judge a PSU by its brand name alone. EVGA has models with "Great Quality" such as their G2 series. However, this does not carry over to their entire lineup. There is a reason why a 600w EVGA W1 cost $40 less than a model I would consider good like an EVGA GQ 650w. They clearly had to cut quality and design somewhere in order to achieve this difference in cost.

Honestly, the EVGA W1 600w its similar to the TT SMART 700w in the way that it is group regulated (like the majority of PSUs from 15 years ago), lacks DC-DC converters, and certainly no LLC resonant tech. Add that onto the fact that these units use lower quality components inside, and they just aren't good at all. I would never call this model "Great", unlike other EVGA models.

You can get by with it most likely without a disaster, but for how long?

I have owned a 600w TT Smart I got secondhand for insanely cheap. I had no issues, but I never really stressed it much as it was powering low-end hardware from like 15 years ago. The extra wattage is not really needed from the Thermaltake, so you are basically paying $10 more for a couple of years more warranty.

I have a 600w EVGA 80+ coming in the mail that I ordered from BestBuy last night. I bought it specifically for an RX570 system, but only as a last resort as nothing else was in that budget. Mainly I bought it since it should be fine and I just need it to flip a PC where the buyer won't know care about

The unit should work fine without causing a disaster like I said, however, It's not ideal and the short warranty really tells you that EVGA themselves doesn't have much faith in the unit either.

Given i just bought the bottom PSU for the same GPU, that's the one I will recommend if you absolutely cannot stretch higher.

Solution