Wattage data for graphic cards. Would ATI Radeon All-in-wo..

ATi

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

Hi!

Do you know where I can find wattage data for various graphic cards?
I'd like to calculate whether ati radeon all in wonder 8500 or 7500 would work
in a case with 230W Power Supply Unit.

a.

ati wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Do you know where I can find wattage data for various graphic cards?
> I'd like to calculate whether ati radeon all in wonder 8500 or 7500 would work
> in a case with 230W Power Supply Unit.
>
> a.

Your question can't be answered because you mentioned nothing about the
rest of the hardware on your computer. With that being said, this
website may give you an idea as to whether your current power supply is
sufficient.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:23:16 +0100, ati <ati@nospam.org>
wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Do you know where I can find wattage data for various graphic cards?
>I'd like to calculate whether ati radeon all in wonder 8500 or 7500 would work
>in a case with 230W Power Supply Unit.
>
>a.

A Ballpark guess would be in the 20-35W (7500/8500) range.
less when not gaming. Whether the "230W" PSU has enough
capacity mostly depends on whether 230W is it's true
capacity, or a somewhat-peak rating, which power rails have
the higher amperage potential (changes over time, older PSU
had far more 5V/3V amps but today more 12V amps), and the
rest of the system.

Generally speaking, you could probably run a P3 era, up
through Tualatin 1.4GHz (non-overclocked) and a basic 1 HDD,
1 optical, system ok with a decent 230W PSU. These days the
price of a higher capacity PSU is pretty low though, if your
system is at least a couple years old you might find good
value in something like a Thermaltake 420W @ newegg.com...
not that you need anywhere near 420W, but they've been on
sale for about $36 and might still be.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:23:16 +0100, ati <ati@nospam.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>Do you know where I can find wattage data for various graphic cards?
>>I'd like to calculate whether ati radeon all in wonder 8500 or 7500 would
>>work
>>in a case with 230W Power Supply Unit.
>>
>>a.
>
> A Ballpark guess would be in the 20-35W (7500/8500) range.
> less when not gaming. Whether the "230W" PSU has enough
> capacity mostly depends on whether 230W is it's true
> capacity, or a somewhat-peak rating, which power rails have
> the higher amperage potential (changes over time, older PSU
> had far more 5V/3V amps but today more 12V amps), and the
> rest of the system.
>
> Generally speaking, you could probably run a P3 era, up
> through Tualatin 1.4GHz (non-overclocked) and a basic 1 HDD,
> 1 optical, system ok with a decent 230W PSU. These days the
> price of a higher capacity PSU is pretty low though, if your
> system is at least a couple years old you might find good
> value in something like a Thermaltake 420W @ newegg.com...
> not that you need anywhere near 420W, but they've been on
> sale for about $36 and might still be.

I have that PSU, and I have no complaints about it. I've got 5 or 6 HHDs,
two opticals, 2.8GHz cpu, Nvidia FX5500, 768MB memory, etc. I've checked
the voltages with a multimeter too, during heaving cpu/IO, drives burning,
with very little fluxuation.

MC

"ati" <ati@nospam.org> wrote in message news:bogei1hfm9mjqbu30c2cp8tac0pqovks58@4ax.com...
> Hi!
>
> Do you know where I can find wattage data for various graphic cards?
> I'd like to calculate whether ati radeon all in wonder 8500 or 7500 would work
> in a case with 230W Power Supply Unit.

You might just give it a try, if you have a decent name-brand power
supply such as, for example, Antec. I have found that power
supply requirements for PC's are vastly overspecified. For example,
my PC -- Opteron CPU, 1GB ram, SK8V mainboard, two 80GB hd's,
DVD/RW, Radeon 9600 video card -- draws a maximum of 140 watts
from the wall when it's running at full bore. (I'm using a waveform
integrating wattmeter to get a true power reading.) On the other hand,
I've read on the internet many times that power supplies, especially
non-brandname ones, are often rated vastly beyond the power they are
actually able to supply. Be careful!

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com