wav, mid files default player

The midi files are opened with the default player:

c:\windows\rundll32.exe c:\windows\SYSTEM\amovie.ocx,RunDll /open

I have installed WinAmp that has created a WinAmp media file type that
contains several file types including wav files.

Q1:
I would prefer to open wav files with the default media player. I would
prefer, however, the other file types to be opened with WinAmp. What
should I do? What will happen if I create a new, wav file type? Will
there be a conflict with the WinAmp media file type?

Q2:
Also: I copied the line above from the midi file type to the WinAmp file
type Open command, and made it default: now the default player plays the
wav files (along with the other file types), with one difference: it
doesn't play them automatically, like it plays the mid files. You have
to click the play button. Can it be made to play the wav file
automatically, maybe by changing the command line?

Q3:
Were there any particular icons that were originally assigned to wav and
mid files, when one installs Windows 98?

Thanks,

Eustace

Eustace wrote:
> The midi files are opened with the default player:
>
> c:\windows\rundll32.exe c:\windows\SYSTEM\amovie.ocx,RunDll /open
>
> I have installed WinAmp that has created a WinAmp media file type that
> contains several file types including wav files.
>
> Q1:
> I would prefer to open wav files with the default media player. I would
> prefer, however, the other file types to be opened with WinAmp. What
> should I do? What will happen if I create a new, wav file type? Will
> there be a conflict with the WinAmp media file type?

No problem, just open winamp and go to Options> Preferences> File Types ..and
here toggle in or out what your desire is. Also somewhere in options there
set it not to restore taken file types. Set your WMP players specific files
types accordingly as well. I have all file types in WinAmp unchecked except
for .m3u ..and I like wmp to open things too; although you can mix it up any
way you like.

> Q2:
> Also: I copied the line above from the midi file type to the WinAmp file
> type Open command, and made it default: now the default player plays the
> wav files (along with the other file types), with one difference: it
> doesn't play them automatically, like it plays the mid files. You have
> to click the play button. Can it be made to play the wav file
> automatically, maybe by changing the command line?

You really never have to copy any lines of code into anything, adjusting it
as mentioned takes care of everything automatically very simply.

Somewhere in options you can set it to play a file upon opening, or not.

> Q3:
> Were there any particular icons that were originally assigned to wav and
> mid files, when one installs Windows 98?

Yes, and again when you set file types as mentioned, all the original icons
of each will assume themselves for whichever player you associated to that
particular file type.

Rick

Rick Chauvin wrote:

> Eustace wrote:
>
>>The midi files are opened with the default player:
>>
>>c:\windows\rundll32.exe c:\windows\SYSTEM\amovie.ocx,RunDll /open
>>
>>I have installed WinAmp that has created a WinAmp media file type that
>>contains several file types including wav files.
>>
>>Q1:
>>I would prefer to open wav files with the default media player. I would
>>prefer, however, the other file types to be opened with WinAmp. What
>>should I do? What will happen if I create a new, wav file type? Will
>>there be a conflict with the WinAmp media file type?
>

> No problem, just open winamp and go to Options> Preferences> File Types ..and
> here toggle in or out what your desire is. Also somewhere in options there
> set it not to restore taken file types. Set your WMP players specific files
> types accordingly as well. I have all file types in WinAmp unchecked except
> for .m3u ..and I like wmp to open things too; although you can mix it up any
> way you like.
>

>>Q2:
>>Also: I copied the line above from the midi file type to the WinAmp file
>>type Open command, and made it default: now the default player plays the
>>wav files (along with the other file types), with one difference: it
>>doesn't play them automatically, like it plays the mid files. You have
>>to click the play button. Can it be made to play the wav file
>>automatically, maybe by changing the command line?
>

> You really never have to copy any lines of code into anything, adjusting it
> as mentioned takes care of everything automatically very simply.
>
> Somewhere in options you can set it to play a file upon opening, or not.
>

>>Q3:
>>Were there any particular icons that were originally assigned to wav and
>>mid files, when one installs Windows 98?
>

> Yes, and again when you set file types as mentioned, all the original icons
> of each will assume themselves for whichever player you associated to that
> particular file type.
>
> Rick
>

>>Thanks,
>>
>>Eustace

Thanks Rick for your reply. You misunderstood though one thing: I don't
want the wav files to open with WMP. There is a small utility that can
play them, (I am not sure whether it's actually a single file because
rundll32.exe doesn't play them by itself,) that I prefer because it's
much lighter.

So, I toggled wav off the files opened by WinAmp, and then when I would
click a wav file it would ask me with what I want to open it. Then I
created a WAV file type, and made it open with the same utility that
opens MIDI files. It works OK, and with the /play /close switches when I
click a wav file now it plays immediately without having to click the
Play button and then it closes. I also added a Play in WinAmp command,
in case I want to play it in WinAmp.

So the only remaining issue is the icons. The midi files have an icon
showing a white page with a musical staff and two notes, but I don't
know in what file I can find it. When I click Change Icon, it points to
the Rundll32.exe that doesn't contain any icons... And the Q3 still
remains...

Eustace

itaintmebabe wrote:

> Thanks Rick for your reply. You misunderstood though one thing:

I had thought you were speaking of WinAmp to open wav's

> I don't want the wav files to open with WMP.

Okay then uncheck wav's in both WinAmp & WMP

> There is a small utility that can play them, (I am not sure whether
> it's actually a single file because rundll32.exe doesn't play them
> by itself,) that I prefer because it's much lighter.

... if it's not WinAmp and not WMP then what is the name of the player you are
using to play wav's?

> So, I toggled wav off the files opened by WinAmp, and then when I would
> click a wav file it would ask me with what I want to open it. Then I
> created a WAV file type, and made it open with the same utility that
> opens MIDI files. It works OK, and with the /play /close switches when I
> click a wav file now it plays immediately without having to click the
> Play button and then it closes.

Okay, but, that sounds like the looooong way around to do it.

> I also added a Play in WinAmp command, in case I want to
> play it in WinAmp.

irregardless if a particular WinAmp's file types is checked or not, even WMP
for that matter, it will still play them if you just drop the file into the
players shortcut or even put that shortcut in your SendTo folder. iow, you
don't have to add a special winamp command anywhere.

> So the only remaining issue is the icons. The midi files have an icon
> showing a white page with a musical staff and two notes, but I don't

That sounds like wmp6.4's icon contained within Mplayer.exe file

> know in what file I can find it. When I click Change Icon, it points to

Well, it's simple I'm sure but I just don't know what player you are using to
play these wav's and midi's. If it's any player worth its salt, it will have
it's own options settings that you can set to associate to itself and it will
pick up it's own icons inside itself !!! If whatever player you are using
doesn't have that <shudder> (what's the name of this player again?) then you
will have to do some fancy footwork to associate icons to it.

> the Rundll32.exe that doesn't contain any icons... And the Q3 still
> remains...

You see if you change an icon that way then it will only associate that one
particular file, you are going to have to associate the player itself to open
specific extensions but also associate that particular player with it's own
icon which should reside within its run exe itself.

I know what you're trying to do in a general way, after all I have 7
different audio/video players myself and WMP9 is set to play only wmv
extension files with it's own wmp9 icon, WMP 6.4 is set to play specific
files I want which carry wmp 6.4's icons, XMPlayer is set to play all .xm
files icons, WinAmp, PowerDVD ... etc, same scenario with my 'unique isolated
installs' of QuickTime, RealPlayer, Divix....etc and so it's all simple to
do because each players options can be set to respect all others and they use
their own proprietary icon for associations.

Most people here will just tell you to use one well known player to play them
all, but as you can see I'm not most people and have my own reasons of
excellent purpose.

I just don't have an exact handle on what you have yet so explain any more.

Rick

itaintmebabe wrote:
> Rick Chauvin wrote:
>
>> Eustace wrote:
>>
>>> The midi files are opened with the default player:
>>>
>>> c:\windows\rundll32.exe c:\windows\SYSTEM\amovie.ocx,RunDll /open
>>>
>>> I have installed WinAmp that has created a WinAmp media file type that
>>> contains several file types including wav files.
>>>
>>> Q1:
>>> I would prefer to open wav files with the default media player. I would
>>> prefer, however, the other file types to be opened with WinAmp. What
>>> should I do? What will happen if I create a new, wav file type? Will
>>> there be a conflict with the WinAmp media file type?

My .wavs play in Sound Recorder.

Go to Explorer > View > Folder Options > File Types.

Click on "Wave Sound" > Edit. Highlight "Play" and click "Edit".

In the "Application Used" field, I have

C:\WINDOWS\SNDREC32.EXE /play /close

(If you put that line in, it means that, when you open a .wav, Sound
Recorder starts playing automatically and then closes once the .wav has
finished.)

Then just 'OK' back out.

>>> Q3:
>>> Were there any particular icons that were originally assigned to wav and
>>> mid files, when one installs Windows 98?

As far as I'm aware, Sound Recorder was default for .wav and the old,
basic Media Player(mplayer.exe) was default for Midi files. Certainly,
that's what I had to reset them to after some software (e.g. Real
Player) grabbed the associations at various times.

mplayer.exe is represented by the icon you described.

HTH

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>

Rick Chauvin wrote:
> itaintmebabe wrote:
>

>>There is a small utility that can play them, (I am not sure whether
>>it's actually a single file because rundll32.exe doesn't play them
>>by itself,) that I prefer because it's much lighter.
>

> .. if it's not WinAmp and not WMP then what is the name of the player you are
> using to play wav's?

I really don't know. In the Settings | Folder Options... | File Types |
Wave Sound | Edit | Open | Edit | Application used to perform action |,
type c:\windows\rundll32.exe c:\windows\SYSTEM\amovie.ocx,RunDll /play ,
and it will work. I prefer this because I often listen to the
pronunciation of words at the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary, and I
want the lightest application available (my browser does not have a
sound plugin).

>>So the only remaining issue is the icons. The midi files have an icon
>>showing a white page with a musical staff and two notes, but I don't
>

> That sounds like wmp6.4's icon contained within Mplayer.exe file

I have wmp6.4 but it contains a different icon...

>>know in what file I can find it. When I click Change Icon, it points to
>

> Well, it's simple I'm sure but I just don't know what player you are using to
> play these wav's and midi's. If it's any player worth its salt, it will have
> it's own options settings that you can set to associate to itself and it will
> pick up it's own icons inside itself !!! If whatever player you are using
> doesn't have that <shudder> (what's the name of this player again?) then you
> will have to do some fancy footwork to associate icons to it.

No options settings in that utility. It seems, however, that it can play
most sound files, like mp3. I think it's part of the Windows sound system.

> Most people here will just tell you to use one well known player to play them
> all, but as you can see I'm not most people and have my own reasons of
> excellent purpose.

Come on, I don't want to have to open WMP or WinAmp just to listen to a
wav file. But most people don't care, I guess.

Eustace

Nigel Stapley wrote:

> itaintmebabe wrote:
>
>> Rick Chauvin wrote:

> My .wavs play in Sound Recorder.
>
> Go to Explorer > View > Folder Options > File Types.
>
> Click on "Wave Sound" > Edit. Highlight "Play" and click "Edit".
>
> In the "Application Used" field, I have
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SNDREC32.EXE /play /close
>
> (If you put that line in, it means that, when you open a .wav, Sound
> Recorder starts playing automatically and then closes once the .wav has
> finished.)
>
> Then just 'OK' back out.

> As far as I'm aware, Sound Recorder was default for .wav

Right! I remember that wav files had the Sound Recorder's icon of the
yellow loudspeaker. I resetted the old icon, and I am considering
assigning the sndrec as their default application.

> and the old,
> basic Media Player(mplayer.exe) was default for Midi files. Certainly,
> that's what I had to reset them to after some software (e.g. Real
> Player) grabbed the associations at various times.
>
> mplayer.exe is represented by the icon you described.
>
> HTH

Well, I have 2 wmplayers, 6.4 and 7.1, and neither of them contains that
icon. I guess it was contained in another version I had in the computer.

Eustace

Yes, Sound Recorder (Sndrec32.exe) was the original default wave player, going back
to Win95. I use the same settings as you, Nigel, opening wave files with Sound
Recorder. It is a much smaller and quicker app for a quick play like that.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Nigel Stapley" <unet@judgemental.plus.com> wrote in message
> itaintmebabe wrote:
> > Rick Chauvin wrote:

> My .wavs play in Sound Recorder.
>
> Go to Explorer > View > Folder Options > File Types.
>
> Click on "Wave Sound" > Edit. Highlight "Play" and click "Edit".
>
> In the "Application Used" field, I have
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SNDREC32.EXE /play /close
>
> (If you put that line in, it means that, when you open a .wav, Sound
> Recorder starts playing automatically and then closes once the .wav has
> finished.)
>
> Then just 'OK' back out.

> As far as I'm aware, Sound Recorder was default for .wav and the old,
> basic Media Player(mplayer.exe) was default for Midi files. Certainly,
> that's what I had to reset them to after some software (e.g. Real
> Player) grabbed the associations at various times.
>
> mplayer.exe is represented by the icon you described.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Nigel Stapley
>
> www.judgemental.plus.com
>
> <reply-to will bounce>

Use Sndrec32.exe...the Windows Sound Recorder applet...to play wave files.
--

Eustace wrote:
> Rick Chauvin wrote:
>> itaintmebabe wrote:
>>
>>>There is a small utility that can play them, (I am not sure whether
>>>it's actually a single file because rundll32.exe doesn't play them
>>>by itself,) that I prefer because it's much lighter.
>>

>> .. if it's not WinAmp and not WMP then what is the name of the player you
>> are using to play wav's?
>
> I really don't know. In the Settings | Folder Options... | File Types |
> Wave Sound | Edit | Open | Edit | Application used to perform action |,
> type c:\windows\rundll32.exe c:\windows\SYSTEM\amovie.ocx,RunDll /play ,

Okay, I see what you're doing there - you're using the ActiveMoive ditty..
...here's a screenshot I just made of what mine looks like if I associate it
like you did and start her up:
http://img215.echo.cx/img215/371/activemovie1gh.gif

> and it will work. I prefer this because I often listen to the
> pronunciation of words at the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary, and I

Okay I understand that - that's a nice idea Eustace :)

> want the lightest application available (my browser does not have a
> sound plugin).

Well quite honestly, using the activemovie player as compared to using your
v6.4 player does not make any difference at all with resource usage (I know
that already, but just tested it to make sure and can see the %'s of
resources as I watch it using Wintop)

If you want to try do it normally as suggested with the default 6.4 without
having to worry about icons, just copy/paste this line below into the same
placed you entered in your other line: copy/paste by
(highlight, then using the keys of ctrl c for copy - paste using ctrl v)
(or just right click and select copy and then paste)
(Yes include the quote symbols !!! - just copy this line exactly)

"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe" /Play "%L"

...and here showing my screenshot you will end up with a player that looks
like this with it's own icon
http://img167.echo.cx/img167/2697/649ow.gif

>>>So the only remaining issue is the icons. The midi files have an icon
>>>showing a white page with a musical staff and two notes, but I don't
>>
>> That sounds like wmp6.4's icon contained within Mplayer.exe file
>
> I have wmp6.4 but it contains a different icon...

No, and read carefully what I typed before though.

I said the icons are contained within Mplayer.exe ..again here's a screenshot
of how I see that with my setup:
http://img167.echo.cx/img167/2323/mplayerexe9gf.gif

...but you never saw it because you are only looking in the front loader file
for the player which is in the mplayer2.exe, which yes, only has one icon,
where the other has all of them ;)

>>>know in what file I can find it. When I click Change Icon, it points to
>>

>> Well, it's simple I'm sure but I just don't know what player you are
>> using to play these wav's and midi's. If it's any player worth its salt,
>> it will have it's own options settings that you can set to associate to
>> itself and it will pick up it's own icons inside itself !!! If whatever
>> player you are using doesn't have that <shudder> (what's the name of this
>> player again?) then you will have to do some fancy footwork to associate
>> icons to it.
>
> No options settings in that utility. It seems, however, that it can play
> most sound files, like mp3. I think it's part of the Windows sound system.

Yes, well no really, but as mentioned it's the active movie portion of the
old way of doing things in W95 or early W98, however when you install
MediaPlayer v6.4
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/win32otherx86.aspx
or direct
http://download.microsoft.com/download/winmediaplayer/Update/6.4/W9XNT4/EN-US/mpfull.exe

It's set's things arightly to the modern way, but as mentioned still Low
Resource way.

>> Most people here will just tell you to use one well known player to play
>> them all, but as you can see I'm not most people and have my own reasons
>> of excellent purpose.
>
> Come on, I don't want to have to open WMP or WinAmp just to listen to a
> wav file. But most people don't care, I guess.

I think you misunderstood my meaning about players and what some may say.

Anyway, my bottom line point to you is by you using the activemovie ditty,
you are using the exact same resources as when you would use the default v6.4
player by using the line of code I gave you - hey if you don't like it -
switch it back to yours - and just Browse your icon pickup to the file I've
already told you to check which is: c:\windows\Mplayer.exe :)

...or you can use sound recorder as others have suggested, but... whatever is
your choice and makes you happy is fine.

Rick

Rick Chauvin wrote:

> [...]
>

>>>Most people here will just tell you to use one well known player to play
>>>them all, but as you can see I'm not most people and have my own reasons
>>>of excellent purpose.
>>
>>Come on, I don't want to have to open WMP or WinAmp just to listen to a
>>wav file. But most people don't care, I guess.
>

> I think you misunderstood my meaning about players and what some may say.
>
> Anyway, my bottom line point to you is by you using the activemovie ditty,
> you are using the exact same resources as when you would use the default v6.4
> player by using the line of code I gave you - hey if you don't like it -
> switch it back to yours - and just Browse your icon pickup to the file I've
> already told you to check which is: c:\windows\Mplayer.exe :)
>
> ..or you can use sound recorder as others have suggested, but... whatever is
> your choice and makes you happy is fine.

Thanks Rick for your detailed answer. Things are clear now, except one
thing. When I right click the c:\windows\Mplayer.exe icon and select
Properties, the Properties have only two tabs, General and Version. The
Product Version here is 4.10.98. The file C:\Program Files\Windows Media
Player \ mplayer2.exe also has the same two tabs, though its Product
Version is 6.4.07.1121. While C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player \
mplayer.exe, with similar tabs, is version 7.10.00.3074. No TouchPro and
View Icons tabs here. What's your product version of the player whose
Properties are shown at
http://img167.echo.cx/img167/2323/mplayerexe9gf.gif ?

Eustace

Eustace wrote:

[....]

> Thanks Rick for your detailed answer. Things are clear now, except one

Your welcome, tell me please what of all this you have done now?

I sincerly hope that you were able to try and use that line:
"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe" /Play "%L"
...and run your v6.4 with so much better results than that limited
activemovie way you were dong it while using the same very little resources,
but, giving you extra the full array of options availble off of all the tabs
of options menus from the player there, And, icons are taken care of
automatically.

Did you use the line?

Remember, you can always put your line back! ..but I doubt you will.

> thing. When I right click the c:\windows\Mplayer.exe icon and select
> Properties, the Properties have only two tabs, General and Version. The
> Product Version here is 4.10.98. The file C:\Program Files\Windows Media

That's the same version as mine. (an extra note to remember as mentioned
before that v6.4 uses more than one exe in all of it's functions)

> Player \ mplayer2.exe also has the same two tabs, though its Product
> Version is 6.4.07.1121. While C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player \

Mine is 6.4.07.1129
(the only difference is that you have not installed the same updates as me
yet which would change your version number)
again I've always used this 6.4 player:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/winmediaplayer/Update/6.4/W9XNT4/EN-US/mpfull.exe
...and then installed these Updates:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-032.mspx
&
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832353#appliesto
...which directly linked is this file for the v6.4, 9x version here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0198f4c8-7135-4421-90ca-61c92ad35fb3

> mplayer.exe, with similar tabs, is version 7.10.00.3074.

?????????
What - are you saying you have media player v7 installed too!

Do you use v7 ?

......well, I don't want to get off topic too much here about that now, and
the situation around those update links above I just gave may be different
for you now, but without question for me anyway, as I alluded to in my
first reply to you instead of wmp v7 which I would not use at all, I instead
use the specific wmp v9 available for W98SE. There are reasons and
advantages for doing that however in either case one has to be quite aware of
the unique and awkward way of what to do if you want to use both v6.4 & v9
players at once like I do for the unique abilities that I prefer to have.

However too if you are concerned about that you have limited computer
resources available? ... I think you said that?
Then the difference is that v6.4 averages about 2 - 3% while v9 averages
about 5% (activemovie was 2 - 3% too) I don't know about v7 and I would not
use it anyway. (v9 has suggested minimum system requirements)

> No TouchPro and View Icons tabs here. What's your product version
> of the player whose Properties are shown at
> http://img167.echo.cx/img167/2323/mplayerexe9gf.gif ?

Well, those are not standard W98 items and something that I installed
separately of course. TouchPro is just a jddesign program I've installed but
it's not related to your MediaPlayer subject at all but that properties menu
is just one of the places it shows itself was all.
The other tab however is something I always have had and is a Free and
very very simple install of an item that will put that tab and it's abilities
onto your properties menu like mine. You can get and read about it here:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Station/8542/Icl_View.htm
...in this case though I only used that particular icon viewer as a
'reference point' to show you that the icon you referred to was located in
that file is all, but it does not allow you to do much other than that for
your particular situation; in other words, you could of used any icon
displayer program to view icons from that mplayer.exe file - it's just that
you said there was only one icon in the 6.4 exe before and that alerted me
you were looking in the wrong 6.4 exe file was all.

Rick

Rick Chauvin wrote:

> Eustace wrote:
>
> [....]
>

>>Thanks Rick for your detailed answer. Things are clear now, except one
>

> Your welcome, tell me please what of all this you have done now?
>
> I sincerly hope that you were able to try and use that line:
> "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe" /Play "%L"
> ...and run your v6.4 with so much better results than that limited
> activemovie way you were dong it while using the same very little resources,
> but, giving you extra the full array of options availble off of all the tabs
> of options menus from the player there, And, icons are taken care of
> automatically.
>
> Did you use the line?

I settled on the Sound Recorder for the wav and mplayer2 for the midi.
BTW, why are there two mplayers 6.4, one in the Windows Media Player
folder and one in the Windows folder? And what is the use of "%L"
at the end of the command line?

> Remember, you can always put your line back! ..but I doubt you will.

>>Player \ mplayer2.exe also has the same two tabs, though its Product
>>Version is 6.4.07.1121. While C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player \
>

> Mine is 6.4.07.1129
> (the only difference is that you have not installed the same updates as me
> yet which would change your version number)
> again I've always used this 6.4 player:
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/winmediaplayer/Update/6.4/W9XNT4/EN-US/mpfull.exe
> ...and then installed these Updates:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-032.mspx
> &
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832353#appliesto
> ...which directly linked is this file for the v6.4, 9x version here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0198f4c8-7135-4421-90ca-61c92ad35fb3

Downloaded the first update. The other two do not seem to refer to Win98...

>>mplayer.exe, with similar tabs, is version 7.10.00.3074.
>

> ?????????
> What - are you saying you have media player v7 installed too!
>
> Do you use v7 ?

Not really. I seldom use it.

> .....well, I don't want to get off topic too much here about that now, and
> the situation around those update links above I just gave may be different
> for you now, but without question for me anyway, as I alluded to in my
> first reply to you instead of wmp v7 which I would not use at all, I instead
> use the specific wmp v9 available for W98SE.

If I remember correctly I tried to install WMP9, but it said it's not
for Win98FE that I have in my laptop.

> There are reasons and
> advantages for doing that however in either case one has to be quite aware of
> the unique and awkward way of what to do if you want to use both v6.4 & v9
> players at once like I do for the unique abilities that I prefer to have.
>
> However too if you are concerned about that you have limited computer
> resources available? ... I think you said that?
> Then the difference is that v6.4 averages about 2 - 3% while v9 averages
> about 5% (activemovie was 2 - 3% too) I don't know about v7 and I would not
> use it anyway. (v9 has suggested minimum system requirements)

Limited resources is one thing. The other thing is that I don't want to
spend *any* unnecessary seconds waiting for the application to load.

>>No TouchPro and View Icons tabs here. What's your product version
>>of the player whose Properties are shown at
>>http://img167.echo.cx/img167/2323/mplayerexe9gf.gif ?
>

> Well, those are not standard W98 items and something that I installed
> separately of course. TouchPro is just a jddesign program I've installed but
> it's not related to your MediaPlayer subject at all but that properties menu
> is just one of the places it shows itself was all.
> The other tab however is something I always have had and is a Free and
> very very simple install of an item that will put that tab and it's abilities
> onto your properties menu like mine. You can get and read about it here:
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Station/8542/Icl_View.htm

Thanks. With it's easier to see the icons included in the program than
by right-clicking on a shortcut, clicking Properties, Change Icon, and
browse to a file containing icons. Now my question is answered. The icon
is contained in the mplayer in the Windows folder but not in the
mplayer2 in the Windows Media Player folder. I had checked only the
second one, thinking they are practically the same.

Thanks again for your help.

Eustace

itaintmebabe wrote:

[..snips for brevity..]

> I settled on the Sound Recorder for the wav and mplayer2 for the midi.
> BTW, why are there two mplayers 6.4, one in the Windows Media Player
> folder and one in the Windows folder? And what is the use of "%L"
> at the end of the command line?

It comes out to be one player and is just the way they decided at that point
to combine them. There was a specific reason they did that and I can only
speculate as to the reasons why I think they used the combinations of what
they had previously to now make it work with it's addition as one, rather
than spending the time to make the new one all inclusive.

iirc the "%L" is the switch use to have the player automatically play when
the audio file is clicked to open.

[...]

> Downloaded the first update. The other two do not seem to refer to Win98...

!!!
...I wouldn't have posted it if it wasn't for W9x also, and if you had read
the webpage I gave you can clearly see it's also for W9x, and yes it does
install and update the things in W9x that it's suppose to.

[...]

> If I remember correctly I tried to install WMP9, but it said it's not
> for Win98FE that I have in my laptop.

That's correct and as I said WMP9 was only for W98SE and so not FE. As well
yes it also uses more resources than any of it's predecessors. The only
thing I ever installed and only use v9 for is to play WMV files or especially
VBR WMV files. I've always been into audio\video and is why I have a number
of players uniquely installed which pleases my needs to have them.

> Limited resources is one thing. The other thing is that I don't want to
> spend *any* unnecessary seconds waiting for the application to load.

That's fine, and whatever your reasons is your pleasure to do so.

A tidbit is that there is no difference in resources using the sound recorder
verses v6.4 for playing wav's, as well iirc both GUI's use the same dll's to
play the file anyway.

[...]

> Thanks. With it's easier to see the icons included in the program than
> by right-clicking on a shortcut, clicking Properties, Change Icon, and
> browse to a file containing icons. Now my question is answered. The icon
> is contained in the mplayer in the Windows folder but not in the
> mplayer2 in the Windows Media Player folder. I had checked only the
> second one, thinking they are practically the same.

....yw, and btw, that was an easy mistake to make with the way they use both
mplayer2.exe and mplayer.exe together, so no problem.

gth,

Rick

Rick Chauvin wrote:

>>Downloaded the first update. The other two do not seem to refer to Win98...
>

> !!!
> ..I wouldn't have posted it if it wasn't for W9x also, and if you had read
> the webpage I gave you can clearly see it's also for W9x, and yes it does
> install and update the things in W9x that it's suppose to.

I believe you, but then, in the webpage:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B832353&x=7&y=14

in the RESOLUTION section, which file should I download:

-----
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft
Download Center:

Windows Media Player (all versions) for Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows
XP, and Windows Server 2003

Download the 832353 package now.

Windows Media Player 6.4, Windows Media Player 7.1, or Windows Media
Player 9 Series for Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

Download the 832353 package now.

Windows Media Player 6.4 for Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server

Download the 832353 package now.
-----

or are all the packages the same?

And please confirm that in the webpage:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832353#appliesto

refers to the same update as above.

Thanks,

Eustace

--
It ain't THAT, babe, a radical reinterpretation
http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html

TRENDING THREADS