[SOLVED] Wavlink router

Nov 11, 2019
I have 2 Wavlink routers Quantum D4G that i want to use as repeaters of my wifi network around the house. They have 4 ports on the back and 1 WAN port. There is no option in the user interface to setup as a repeater. I have tried all the settings and it just will not let me! It does have WISP which works to some degree but then will not let me connect to the internet.

Does anyone have any experience with these and how i can configure them to be repeaters??

Solution
If you have ethernet cables to the remote locations you can use them as AP.

A repeater is actually a special device. Although some routers have the feature it is not common. Pretty much if the device does not have the option you can not use it as a repeater. It is a software restriction not hardware but I do not know if that device has any ability to run third party firmware. This is another disadvantage to not using the more popular brands. You would have to search things like dd-wrt maybe it runs the same hardware as other brands.

In general you do not really want to use a repeater anyway. They will greatly reduce the bandwidth and cause other performance related issues. Pretty much you are trading link quality...
If you have ethernet cables to the remote locations you can use them as AP.

A repeater is actually a special device. Although some routers have the feature it is not common. Pretty much if the device does not have the option you can not use it as a repeater. It is a software restriction not hardware but I do not know if that device has any ability to run third party firmware. This is another disadvantage to not using the more popular brands. You would have to search things like dd-wrt maybe it runs the same hardware as other brands.

In general you do not really want to use a repeater anyway. They will greatly reduce the bandwidth and cause other performance related issues. Pretty much you are trading link quality for coverage. These should be consider last options where even a slow crappy signal is better than no signal at all.

Solution
Nov 11, 2019
Bill

Yes i have ethernet cable to them from the central hub. So want to use them as AP really. Ideally want them to be on the same SSID and ip range of my existing router. But cant seem to work out which option to choose. PPPOE, Static Ip, Dymnamic IP, or WISP ( wont let me change the IP address).

Thought about flashing them but do not think they are compatible!

Cheers

Tim

kanewolf

Titan
Bill

Yes i have ethernet cable to them from the central hub. So want to use them as AP really. Ideally want them to be on the same SSID and ip range of my existing router. But cant seem to work out which option to choose. PPPOE, Static Ip, Dymnamic IP, or WISP ( wont let me change the IP address).

Thought about flashing them but do not think they are compatible!

Cheers

Tim
You would connect to the LAN port of the router being used as an AP. Then disable DHCP on each of them. Here is the sticky to use a router as an AP -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-router-to-a-wireless-ap-access-point.966884/