Question Wavlink USB 3.0 Dual Drive Dock = RAW?

Sep 29, 2022
So just using the cheap dual dock for data transfer, no cloning. Second time in one year, two drives have been converted from NFSF to RAW when drives re-mounted after sleeping computer during long sessions. NO issues in my single USB 2.0 docks. I found several users complaining of same issue in the amazon reviews, so now I know i'm not alone. The Wavlink dock now in the landfill and looking for better enclosure.

Get rid of that Dual Dock. I have one. MANY Time it corrupted the file systems! NTFS, FAT32 exFAT, and APSF it corrupted. I found that having one drive up and running, and then adding another one, causes a power drain enough for the existing drive to spin down and cause corruption. Either 1) do not REMOVE or ADD drives while it is on or 2) Get single drive docks/enclosures. I tossed mine out because of this. even having 1 drive in it still did this. Never had this issue with any single drive adapter/dock.

Sep 29, 2022
It's too bad that neither of you thought to tear down these devices and show us what is inside.
JMS561U plus cloning firmware. No updates from Wavlink. I have 4 bay Mediasonic case in the mail.

Seems that all the dual cloning docks have the NTSC to Raw feature if you search through the reviews. Lucky my drives were backed up.

A file system becomes RAW when the metadata become inconsistent. This could happen if there is data still sitting in the write cache at the time when power is interrupted. You can minimise this problem at the OS end by "optimising for quick removal". I believe this disables write caching by the OS. However, I don't know what kind of caching happens inside the dock, if any.