Wavlink wireless Repeater

Jul 20, 2018
I have included a wavlink WL-WN578S2 to my network to assist my communication with my other pc at the other end of the house. Both the router and extender show up on my wifi options and I have set both to "connect automatically". My possibly silly question is, will the network automatically choose which is the strongest signal. Reason for my query: If I connect manually to the extender, the pc disconnects from the main router, hence no network. inversely, if I connect the main router the repeater (though still set to auto) does not function. How should this all work as since installing I haven't seen any improvement. Sorry for the essay. Your thoughts?

Solution

I have seen this type of implementation before, so it seems like you did it right (otherwise, how would the extender know that your network was named "smith"). I am surprised that connecting to Smith_Ext does not give you service. You may want to move the extender a bit closer to the router.
Will it automatically connect to the strongest source ... kind of. WiFi devices (like your PC) have a threshold value. Once signal quality gets below the threshold, they will look for a better source. So, kind of.

If you your WL-WN578S2 was in repeater mode you should not see 2 SSIDs (WiFi Network Names) ... you should only see the main one. I suspect you have it in router or AP mode, which requires the use of an Ethernet cable. You might want to go through the setup again. The preferred setup for this device seems to be through the WPS button.

Jul 20, 2018

Jul 20, 2018
Thanks so much for your input. What you have said is what I suspected, however I did ensure it was set to repeat mode and not the AP or router mode. Also went through set up with the WPS on both units. When I check the wifi connection from the taskbar there are 2 Wifi, eg Smith & Smith_Ext. This may be normal and it may be working properly, but I have no way of really telling. Pardon my ignorance. Thanks again for your response.

I have seen this type of implementation before, so it seems like you did it right (otherwise, how would the extender know that your network was named "smith"). I am surprised that connecting to Smith_Ext does not give you service. You may want to move the extender a bit closer to the router.

Solution
Jul 20, 2018