[SOLVED] Wavy lines on display

Jun 4, 2021
I have an LG Flatron W1941S monitor that I am using with my desktop running with AMD Phenom X II 550 with GIGABYTE 880GM-UD2H motherboard. I am currently using the built-in graphics card. Some time back the Power Supply (SMPS) went for a toss and I got a new power supply (450W output). Since then I see that the display has become wavy with black and white lines. Suspecting the monitor, I tried connecting it to my laptop. Strangely the display was perfect without any wavy lines.
I thought it could be a issue with low power on my desktop, and then used a higher output SMPS (800W). Even then I see the same issue with both the HDMI and VGA port. Are there any settings (BIOS) that I need to check/enable/disable or conclude that the inbuilt graphics is bad and I need to install a separate graphics card?

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Mind sharing the make and model of your PSU that decided to take a Uturn on the build? In fact you should include the makes and models of both PSU's that you've tried working with on your build. FYI, just because a unit has a sticker with a 3 digit wattage means it's worth investing into. You're advised in buying reliably built quality units, not what the salesman says but what reviewers like this say.

It's also possible that the prior PSU might've taken out your iGPU on the motherboard, due to a subpar PSU. you could try uninstall GPU drivers using DDU and reinstalling your GPU drivers with the latest that the platform has, off of your motherboard's support page but I'm leaning on bad PSU knocking out...

Lutfij

Titan

Mind sharing the make and model of your PSU that decided to take a Uturn on the build? In fact you should include the makes and models of both PSU's that you've tried working with on your build. FYI, just because a unit has a sticker with a 3 digit wattage means it's worth investing into. You're advised in buying reliably built quality units, not what the salesman says but what reviewers like this say.

It's also possible that the prior PSU might've taken out your iGPU on the motherboard, due to a subpar PSU. you could try uninstall GPU drivers using DDU and reinstalling your GPU drivers with the latest that the platform has, off of your motherboard's support page but I'm leaning on bad PSU knocking out hardware.

Solution

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020

It's also possible that the prior PSU might've taken out your iGPU on the motherboard, due to a subpar PSU. you could try uninstall GPU drivers using DDU and reinstalling your GPU drivers with the latest that the platform has, off of your motherboard's support page but I'm leaning on bad PSU knocking out hardware.
I agree on this, knowing the model and its performance history helps.