Way back Machine, MM-VII question

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

OK, so I'm a little behind the times. Finally decided to try an RPG (other
than Fallout) and have Might and Magic VII. Have found FAQ's etc. But am too
dumb to find the answer to something simple.

How the heck do you protect the wizard and other less armored guys from
being in a melee? Right away with those annoying dragonflies everyone is
getting hit equally.

So, it is possible to put archers, wizards, whoever, towards the back of the
party or some way to keep them out of direct melee?

Thank you

Dale
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <GvCdnQAxJo1Adt_fRVn-jg@rcn.net>, Lookdown@mysig.com says...

>OK, so I'm a little behind the times. Finally decided to try an RPG (other
>than Fallout) and have Might and Magic VII. Have found FAQ's etc. But am too
>dumb to find the answer to something simple.

>How the heck do you protect the wizard and other less armored guys from
>being in a melee? Right away with those annoying dragonflies everyone is
>getting hit equally.

>So, it is possible to put archers, wizards, whoever, towards the back of the
>party or some way to keep them out of direct melee?

>Thank you
>Dale

After reading at the manual, and finding no reference to putting the party in
any particular order, I can only assume the party is marching four abreast,
with the hirelings and NPCs trailing behind. Therefore, weaker party members
cannot shield themselves behind the sturdier party members.

Invest in some protection, and attack the dragonflies from a distance with
ranged weapons.

Hmmm.. IIRC this is on the starting island. If you think the dragonflies are
bad, wait until you meet the dragon (yes, on the starting island <G>).

--
Ken Rice -=:=- kennrice (AT) erols (DOT) com
http://users.erols.com/kennrice - Lego Compatible Flex Track,
Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Ken Rice" <no@email.ads> wrote in message
news:6cF0e.7830$Ax.3403@trnddc04...
> In article <GvCdnQAxJo1Adt_fRVn-jg@rcn.net>, Lookdown@mysig.com says...
> any particular order, I can only assume the party is marching four
abreast,
> with the hirelings and NPCs trailing behind. Therefore, weaker party
members
> cannot shield themselves behind the sturdier party members.
>

Thanks, strange that so many of the FAQs make a big deal about the fighting
classes "absorbing the damage" for the group.
Bah!

> Invest in some protection, and attack the dragonflies from a distance with
> ranged weapons.

Gonna have to figger out where to get the archer skill then, or start over,
thanks.

> Hmmm.. IIRC this is on the starting island. If you think the dragonflies
are
> bad, wait until you meet the dragon (yes, on the starting island <G>).

Was hoping to power up on easy flies! Ah well.

Thanks

Dale
--
Tutall@hotmail.com
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Duwop" <Lookdown@mysig.com> wrote in message
news:xvadnZX-QZC6v97fRVn-rA@rcn.net...
> "Ken Rice" <no@email.ads> wrote in message
> news:6cF0e.7830$Ax.3403@trnddc04...
>> In article <GvCdnQAxJo1Adt_fRVn-jg@rcn.net>, Lookdown@mysig.com says...
>> any particular order, I can only assume the party is marching four
> abreast,
>> with the hirelings and NPCs trailing behind. Therefore, weaker party
> members
>> cannot shield themselves behind the sturdier party members.
>>
>
> Thanks, strange that so many of the FAQs make a big deal about the
> fighting
> classes "absorbing the damage" for the group.
> Bah!
>
>> Invest in some protection, and attack the dragonflies from a distance
>> with
>> ranged weapons.
>
> Gonna have to figger out where to get the archer skill then, or start
> over,
> thanks.
>
>> Hmmm.. IIRC this is on the starting island. If you think the dragonflies
> are
>> bad, wait until you meet the dragon (yes, on the starting island <G>).
>
> Was hoping to power up on easy flies! Ah well.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dale
> --
> Tutall@hotmail.com
>
>
>
there are seeral ways of handling the flies. One is to approach them so
that only a few engage and then back up -- fight and heal. Another is to
engage the flies and then run to the inn and hide. Flies and villagers will
fight. Some villagers have interesting things on their bodies. In any case
you should go to the orb like thing on top of the hill and power up there.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <xvadnZX-QZC6v97fRVn-rA@rcn.net>,
"Duwop" <Whosyourdaddy@orphan.com> wrote:

>Was hoping to power up on easy flies! Ah well.
>
>Thanks
>Dale

It's been so long since I played, I've forgotten just about everything.
A couple things I always did was fight in turn based mode, and spend
quite a bit of time on the island, doing all the quests, and you can buy
some skills and other stuff cheaper there than once you leave.

I seem to recall there is a way to change the order of your characters
once created. Can't remember if it was just a simple click and drag or
a hold a key down and drag. One thing I always did at creation was to
create the tough melee guys first and then the healer and wiz types last.
That way the tough guys stood at the front and took most of the damage,
and the healer when it was it's turn to play could do it's healing.

Here's a couple sites I used to use a lot.

http://www.the-spoiler.com/RPG/New.World.Computing/might.and.magic7.2/MM7.HTM

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/mm7/maps.html

Jim
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:32:41 -0800, "Duwop" <Lookdown@mysig.com>
wrote:

>OK, so I'm a little behind the times. Finally decided to try an RPG (other
>than Fallout) and have Might and Magic VII. Have found FAQ's etc. But am too
>dumb to find the answer to something simple.
>
>How the heck do you protect the wizard and other less armored guys from
>being in a melee? Right away with those annoying dragonflies everyone is
>getting hit equally.
>
>So, it is possible to put archers, wizards, whoever, towards the back of the
>party or some way to keep them out of direct melee?

I don't think there's a way to move the characters around after you
create the party (though I could easily be wrong), but if you create
the clerics/wizards last, they'll be at the end of the line and get
hit SLIGHTLY less (though not by a huge amount...) Might and Magic
games are always pretty difficult the first couple of levels, but
become quite a bit easier after even just a few level-ups. There are
enough magical items and effects that your wizard's AR won't be all
that much lower than your fighter's once you get going a bit. If
you're still on the first island, though, I'd definitely recommend
starting over and putting your fighters first, followed by
cleric-types, then wizards.

The best tip I can give you, though, is that you should never rush
into combat. Cast Wizard's Eye (so you can see the monsters as red
dots on the radar) and approach them slowly. When the gem beside your
character's picture turns yellow, stop. You should see just a couple
of monsters approaching you on radar (and if they're not moving, take
a step forward until a couple of them notice you.) By approaching
with caution, you'll only have to fight a couple monsters at a time
instead of risking being overwhelmed. Also, if you go into turn-based
mode, you can start shooting them with arrows/spells before they get
to you (something that was completely unbalancing in MM6, but was
greatly toned down in MM7.)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:pmp641h6n0qr2hffqgl6k3ubgbq9al7101@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:32:41 -0800, "Duwop" <Lookdown@mysig.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >So, it is possible to put archers, wizards, whoever, towards the back of the
> >party or some way to keep them out of direct melee?
>
> I don't think there's a way to move the characters around after you
> create the party (though I could easily be wrong), but if you create
> the clerics/wizards last, they'll be at the end of the line and get
> hit SLIGHTLY less (though not by a huge amount...) Might and Magic

I *think* highlighting one character and Ctrl-clicking on another will
swap their positions. I know it's possible, because I occasionally
find I've accidentally reordered the party and have to hunt around for
the way to switch them back.

RelMark
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thanks to all that replied, very helpful!

D
--
Tutall@hotmail.com
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Duwop" <Lookdown@mysig.com> wrote in message
news:GvCdnQAxJo1Adt_fRVn-jg@rcn.net...
>
> OK, so I'm a little behind the times. Finally decided to try an RPG (other
> than Fallout) and have Might and Magic VII. Have found FAQ's etc. But am
> too
> dumb to find the answer to something simple.
>
> How the heck do you protect the wizard and other less armored guys from
> being in a melee? Right away with those annoying dragonflies everyone is
> getting hit equally.
>
> So, it is possible to put archers, wizards, whoever, towards the back of
> the
> party or some way to keep them out of direct melee?

Nope. It's not like Wizardry or some other games where you can position some
characters in the front or back. Here they're effectively all marching along
four abreast, and their order from left to right doesn't mean much.

A tender new party is going to be vulnerable to the dragonflies, and about
all you can do is try to lure off a few at a time so you don't have to take
on the whole bunch at once. Also you can lure them up the hill and into the
village where the guards will fight them for you. That won't get your party
any experience points; however, you can loot the dead dragonflies (and dead
people) and pick up a fair amount of gold.

N.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <1Y2dnR4pk7Xz0tnfRVn-rQ@comcast.com>,
"Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote:

>A tender new party is going to be vulnerable to the dragonflies, and about
>all you can do is try to lure off a few at a time so you don't have to take
>on the whole bunch at once. Also you can lure them up the hill and into the
>village where the guards will fight them for you. That won't get your party
>any experience points; however, you can loot the dead dragonflies (and dead
>people) and pick up a fair amount of gold.
>
>N.


And that important spellbook ? which drops from one of the villagers in town.
You can get a good foundation for the rest of the game by spending a fair
amount of time there before moving on.

Jim
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
news:1Y2dnR4pk7Xz0tnfRVn-rQ@comcast.com:

> Nope. It's not like Wizardry or some other games where you can
> position some characters in the front or back. Here they're
> effectively all marching along four abreast, and their order from left
> to right doesn't mean much.

Try standing behind a corner and you will see that they don't occypy the
same place as some in your party will have a clear shot while others don't.
Not that it matters. What can be more important is to know that some
creatures prefers to attack characters of a certain gender/race/profession
so you can equip them with all your best armor while leaving the others
less protected.

> A tender new party is going to be vulnerable to the dragonflies, and
> about all you can do is try to lure off a few at a time so you don't
> have to take on the whole bunch at once. Also you can lure them up the
> hill and into the village where the guards will fight them for you.
> That won't get your party any experience points; however, you can loot
> the dead dragonflies (and dead people) and pick up a fair amount of
> gold.

Use the sphere(?) on the other side of the bridge to boost your stats and
you should do fine against the dragonflies. Using any cash you get to buy
bows and bow skill helps too. Bows rule in the early game.

For a challenge try killing the dragon before leaving the starting island.
You can run around ducking his fireballs while slowly nocking him down with
arrows, and you can get some amazing loot that way. (Saving a lot is
recommended, and restoring a lot very likely).
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"foamy" <bombelly@wahs.ac> wrote in message
news:gmZ0e.783967$Xk.234125@pd7tw3no...
> In article <1Y2dnR4pk7Xz0tnfRVn-rQ@comcast.com>,
> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote:
>
>>A tender new party is going to be vulnerable to the dragonflies, and about
>>all you can do is try to lure off a few at a time so you don't have to
>>take
>>on the whole bunch at once. Also you can lure them up the hill and into
>>the
>>village where the guards will fight them for you. That won't get your
>>party
>>any experience points; however, you can loot the dead dragonflies (and
>>dead
>>people) and pick up a fair amount of gold.
>>
>>N.
>
>
> And that important spellbook ? which drops from one of the villagers in
> town.
> You can get a good foundation for the rest of the game by spending a fair
> amount of time there before moving on.
>
> Jim

Dang, I never knew about any spellbook. You're probably right about spending
more time there, which I never did. I noticed there seemed to be a good deal
of stuff available if you had the money, i.e. much more than you'd get just
by completing everything on the island *once*. I've spent enough time there
for the dragonflies and treasure chests to respawn once, but that's all.
Next time I start MM7 I will spend more time there.

N.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
news:Xns9624CDC907D8EThomasPalmchellose@212.83.64.229...
> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
> news:1Y2dnR4pk7Xz0tnfRVn-rQ@comcast.com:
>
>> Nope. It's not like Wizardry or some other games where you can
>> position some characters in the front or back. Here they're
>> effectively all marching along four abreast, and their order from left
>> to right doesn't mean much.
>
> Try standing behind a corner and you will see that they don't occypy the
> same place as some in your party will have a clear shot while others
> don't.

Yes, I've noticed that. I stand corrected in that respect.


> Not that it matters. What can be more important is to know that some
> creatures prefers to attack characters of a certain gender/race/profession
> so you can equip them with all your best armor while leaving the others
> less protected.

I've noticed that with some critters too, but don't remember it with the
dragonflies.


>
>> A tender new party is going to be vulnerable to the dragonflies, and
>> about all you can do is try to lure off a few at a time so you don't
>> have to take on the whole bunch at once. Also you can lure them up the
>> hill and into the village where the guards will fight them for you.
>> That won't get your party any experience points; however, you can loot
>> the dead dragonflies (and dead people) and pick up a fair amount of
>> gold.
>
> Use the sphere(?) on the other side of the bridge to boost your stats and
> you should do fine against the dragonflies. Using any cash you get to buy
> bows and bow skill helps too. Bows rule in the early game.

The sphere (Day of the Gods, I think?) helps, yes. I can't remember now
whether I was able to get bow skills there. I think I just forget too much
of the game.


>
> For a challenge try killing the dragon before leaving the starting island.
> You can run around ducking his fireballs while slowly nocking him down
> with
> arrows, and you can get some amazing loot that way. (Saving a lot is
> recommended, and restoring a lot very likely).

That sounds like a challenge, all right. :)

I never got anything from that dragon but tombstones. Very fast. I'll try it
next time, though.

N.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <dvydnc6ykr0uedPfRVn-1A@comcast.com>,
"Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote:

>> For a challenge try killing the dragon before leaving the starting island.
>> You can run around ducking his fireballs while slowly nocking him down
>> with
>> arrows, and you can get some amazing loot that way. (Saving a lot is
>> recommended, and restoring a lot very likely).
>
>That sounds like a challenge, all right. :)

>I never got anything from that dragon but tombstones. Very fast. I'll try it
>next time, though.
>
>N.

I never took the Dragon on, figured I'd be dead meat very quickly. So I'd
enter in turn based mode, scoop some loot off the ground, run out--heal,
rinse, repeat. Now that he can apparently be beaten, I think I'll give him a
try too. ;-)

Jim
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:13:54 GMT, no@email.ads (Ken Rice) wrote:

>Hmmm.. IIRC this is on the starting island. If you think the dragonflies are
>bad, wait until you meet the dragon (yes, on the starting island <G>).

As I recall there was a guy who posted a savegame showing how he had
KILLED the dragon you're referring to - best I ever did was to get the
dragon down to a little below half hits before getting killed - so I
believe he was telling the truth.

One of the more remarkable exploits I've seen...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"foamy" <bombelly@wahs.ac> wrote in message
news:qfD3e.883058$6l.120006@pd7tw2no...
> In article <dvydnc6ykr0uedPfRVn-1A@comcast.com>,
> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote:
>
>>> For a challenge try killing the dragon before leaving the starting
>>> island.
>>> You can run around ducking his fireballs while slowly nocking him down
>>> with
>>> arrows, and you can get some amazing loot that way. (Saving a lot is
>>> recommended, and restoring a lot very likely).
>>
>>That sounds like a challenge, all right. :)
>
>>I never got anything from that dragon but tombstones. Very fast. I'll try
>>it
>>next time, though.
>>
>>N.
>
> I never took the Dragon on, figured I'd be dead meat very quickly. So I'd
> enter in turn based mode, scoop some loot off the ground, run out--heal,
> rinse, repeat.

Yep, same here. I actually did try swapping blows with him once or twice,
but all that got me was instant tombstones so I gave it up.


> Now that he can apparently be beaten, I think I'll give him a
> try too. ;-)
>
> Jim

I suppose the thing to do is stay on the island really a long time, let
everything respawn and do it all over again, and again, and again, keep
leveling up (I wonder how many levels you can get from that particular
training center?) and wait till you're strong enough and well armed and
armored enough, and *then* tackle the dragon. Sounds kinda tedious but I
sure would like to dispatch that big brute.

N.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <4d-dnYAWovJ0f9PfRVn-pQ@comcast.com>, not@home.today says...
> "foamy" <bombelly@wahs.ac> wrote in message

> > And that important spellbook ? which drops from one of the villagers in
> > town.
> > You can get a good foundation for the rest of the game by spending a fair
> > amount of time there before moving on.
>
> Dang, I never knew about any spellbook. You're probably right about spending
> more time there, which I never did. I noticed there seemed to be a good deal
> of stuff available if you had the money, i.e. much more than you'd get just
> by completing everything on the island *once*. I've spent enough time there
> for the dragonflies and treasure chests to respawn once, but that's all.
> Next time I start MM7 I will spend more time there.

Surely it was a wand?

- Gerry Quinn
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
news:OrqdnXX97Z-4ctLfRVn-3w@comcast.com:

>
> "foamy" <bombelly@wahs.ac> wrote in message

>> Now that he can apparently be beaten, I think I'll give him a
>> try too. ;-)
>>
>> Jim
>
> I suppose the thing to do is stay on the island really a long time,
> let everything respawn and do it all over again, and again, and again,
> keep leveling up (I wonder how many levels you can get from that
> particular training center?) and wait till you're strong enough and
> well armed and armored enough, and *then* tackle the dragon. Sounds
> kinda tedious but I sure would like to dispatch that big brute.

I think you can only train to level five on the island, and that isn't
enough to matter, so there is no need to wait and respawn everything. Level
one or level five, if he hits you are dead. You may have to stay long
enough that the stores restock so you get bows for everyone, though.

The way to do it is to stay as far away as possible and shoot your arrows,
then run aside to duck his fireball, shoot another volley and repeat for,
well, a long time.

Once you've spent all that time I suggest saving before looting the corpse
too and reloading until you get something you like. Sometimes the corpse
doesn't disappear after you've looted it either, so with infinite patience
you can probably equip your characters fully from that single dragon. Not
that you need to, the game isn't that hard.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote in
news:MPG.1cb9d7bf207eaa70989fd1@news.indigo.ie:

> In article <4d-dnYAWovJ0f9PfRVn-pQ@comcast.com>, not@home.today
> says...
>> "foamy" <bombelly@wahs.ac> wrote in message
>
>> > And that important spellbook ? which drops from one of the
>> > villagers in town.
>> > You can get a good foundation for the rest of the game by spending
>> > a fair amount of time there before moving on.
>>
>> Dang, I never knew about any spellbook. You're probably right about
>> spending more time there, which I never did. I noticed there seemed
>> to be a good deal of stuff available if you had the money, i.e. much
>> more than you'd get just by completing everything on the island
>> *once*. I've spent enough time there for the dragonflies and treasure
>> chests to respawn once, but that's all. Next time I start MM7 I will
>> spend more time there.
>
> Surely it was a wand?

There is a fireball wand that a character is willing to give you in
exchange for a later favor. You can have the dragonflies kill him to get is
"for free", but I suggest accepting his offer. It leads to an extra quest
later on.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <eqsu419rcqdh6kmtmn1vkctj0oe9ujooi2@4ax.com>, lcraver@home.ca
says...

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:13:54 GMT, no@email.ads (Ken Rice) wrote:

>>Hmmm.. IIRC this is on the starting island. If you think the dragonflies are
>>bad, wait until you meet the dragon (yes, on the starting island <G>).

>As I recall there was a guy who posted a savegame showing how he had
>KILLED the dragon you're referring to - best I ever did was to get the
>dragon down to a little below half hits before getting killed - so I
>believe he was telling the truth.

>One of the more remarkable exploits I've seen...

I killed that dragon. It takes a lot of patience. Hit a few times, run away to
safe place to recover. Repeat as needed. Save a lot.

--
Ken Rice -=:=- kennrice (AT) erols (DOT) com
http://users.erols.com/kennrice - Lego Compatible Flex Track,
Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <Xns962DAC1D4C1CThomasPalmchellose@212.83.64.229>,
Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se says...
> Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote in
> news:MPG.1cb9d7bf207eaa70989fd1@news.indigo.ie:

> > Surely it was a wand?
>
> There is a fireball wand that a character is willing to give you in
> exchange for a later favor. You can have the dragonflies kill him to get is
> "for free", but I suggest accepting his offer. It leads to an extra quest
> later on.

I didn't trust him, so I wasn't keen to involve myself with his plans.

- Gerry Quinn
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Gerry Quinn" <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote in message
news:MPG.1cbb92d8c81923ca989fa6@news.indigo.ie...
> In article <Xns962DAC1D4C1CThomasPalmchellose@212.83.64.229>,
> Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se says...
>> Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote in
>> news:MPG.1cb9d7bf207eaa70989fd1@news.indigo.ie:
>
>> > Surely it was a wand?
>>
>> There is a fireball wand that a character is willing to give you in
>> exchange for a later favor. You can have the dragonflies kill him to get
>> is
>> "for free", but I suggest accepting his offer. It leads to an extra quest
>> later on.
>
> I didn't trust him, so I wasn't keen to involve myself with his plans.
>
> - Gerry Quinn

For some reason I didn't meet that character the first time I played MM7. A
friend of mine did, and accepted the wand, and regretted it later in the
game--though I don't now recall the details. Probably related to the "extra
quest" Thomas Palm mentions.

N.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
news:Xns962DABC1D9F19ThomasPalmchellose@212.83.64.229...
> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
> news:OrqdnXX97Z-4ctLfRVn-3w@comcast.com:
>
>>
>> "foamy" <bombelly@wahs.ac> wrote in message
>
>>> Now that he can apparently be beaten, I think I'll give him a
>>> try too. ;-)
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> I suppose the thing to do is stay on the island really a long time,
>> let everything respawn and do it all over again, and again, and again,
>> keep leveling up (I wonder how many levels you can get from that
>> particular training center?) and wait till you're strong enough and
>> well armed and armored enough, and *then* tackle the dragon. Sounds
>> kinda tedious but I sure would like to dispatch that big brute.
>
> I think you can only train to level five on the island, and that isn't
> enough to matter, so there is no need to wait and respawn everything.
> Level
> one or level five, if he hits you are dead. You may have to stay long
> enough that the stores restock so you get bows for everyone, though.

Yes, that's a thought.


>
> The way to do it is to stay as far away as possible and shoot your arrows,
> then run aside to duck his fireball, shoot another volley and repeat for,
> well, a long time.
>
> Once you've spent all that time I suggest saving before looting the corpse
> too and reloading until you get something you like.

Ah, so it's not always the same thing?


> Sometimes the corpse
> doesn't disappear after you've looted it either, so with infinite patience
> you can probably equip your characters fully from that single dragon. Not
> that you need to, the game isn't that hard.

At least not in those early stages, no. But I'll try that the next time I
start MM7.

N.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <XM6dnZB4EpVqeM_fRVn-og@comcast.com>, not@home.today says...

>"Gerry Quinn" <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote in message
>news:MPG.1cbb92d8c81923ca989fa6@news.indigo.ie...
>> In article <Xns962DAC1D4C1CThomasPalmchellose@212.83.64.229>,
>> Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se says...
>>> Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote in
>>> news:MPG.1cb9d7bf207eaa70989fd1@news.indigo.ie:

>>> > Surely it was a wand?
>
>>> There is a fireball wand that a character is willing to give you in
>>> exchange for a later favor. You can have the dragonflies kill him to get
>>> is "for free", but I suggest accepting his offer. It leads to an extra
>>> quest later on.

>> I didn't trust him, so I wasn't keen to involve myself with his plans.

>For some reason I didn't meet that character the first time I played MM7. A
>friend of mine did, and accepted the wand, and regretted it later in the
>game--though I don't now recall the details. Probably related to the "extra
>quest" Thomas Palm mentions.

The guy gives you the wand in exchange for a future favor. However, the Guy has
ganster connections, and the favor is related to that. From what I recall, you
can do the favor later, or not do it and have to kill all the gangsters. Guess
which I did <VBG>.

--
Ken Rice -=:=- kennrice (AT) erols (DOT) com
http://users.erols.com/kennrice - Lego Compatible Flex Track,
Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <v8ydnS3Mbv2bes_fRVn-3A@comcast.com>, not@home.today says...

>"Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
>news:Xns962DABC1D9F19ThomasPalmchellose@212.83.64.229...
>> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
>> news:OrqdnXX97Z-4ctLfRVn-3w@comcast.com:
>>
>>> clip

>> The way to do it is to stay as far away as possible and shoot your arrows,
>> then run aside to duck his fireball, shoot another volley and repeat for,
>> well, a long time.

>> Once you've spent all that time I suggest saving before looting the corpse
>> too and reloading until you get something you like.

>Ah, so it's not always the same thing?

>> Sometimes the corpse
>> doesn't disappear after you've looted it either, so with infinite patience
>> you can probably equip your characters fully from that single dragon. Not
>> that you need to, the game isn't that hard.

>At least not in those early stages, no. But I'll try that the next time I
>start MM7.

The dragon body treasures are random. I spend a fair amount of time saving and
reloading to get all kinds of interesting stuff from dragon bodies at various
places in the game.

--
Ken Rice -=:=- kennrice (AT) erols (DOT) com
http://users.erols.com/kennrice - Lego Compatible Flex Track,
Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
 

TRENDING THREADS