Way to convince MS for a new OEM Windows 7 Activation Key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gobatron

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
I'm about to replace my really old motherboard with a new one and I have an OEM Windows 7. I know that my OEM Windows is tied to my old motherboard so there's a big chance that I'm going to have to activate it. Before I fork over $100, I heard there's a way to convince MS to create a new activation key. I know that leaves me at the whim of the automated system/operator so I'm wondering what's the best thing to say to them to increase my chances if I do have to talk to a human operator. Do I say something on the lines that my old motherboard broke and the same mobo model is not in circulation anymore?

Window 7 (oem 64 bit) kept working for me when I changed my motherboard. I just had to change a few drivers.

I don't think there's a problem if it's still your one and only PC. From what I've heard, Microsoft can re-activate your Windows with a phone call to them if you get stuck.

You should be able to go through the phone activation to reactivate your copy of Windows.

I've done it plenty of times. I used my copy of W7 on an LGA 775 build for a little while and when I upgraded to LGA 1155 I was able to use the phone activation with no problems.

Yea its not a big deal really. The phone activation is annoying so just make sure it is up and running to your liking before activating. I have never had to deal with a person directly, it was always automated with the number entry. Then again I was always honest when it ask "How many PCs are using this copy of Windows" (the correct answer is one). I've had to do it tons of times after replacing my motherboard twice. After a while you have to call every time to activate.

Gobatron

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

About the "how many PCs" question. I think i saw someone on here say it was "none". When you say one, are you counting the PC you have now with the new motherboard or the one with the old mother board?

Gobatron

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

When you say "change a few drivers", do you mean that you had to uninstall them prior to the motherboard change or did you do it after? This will be my first time doing all this.

I'm counting the PC im using. It is the same PC, just some parts got changed out.

Change them after the motherboard installation. With me, my motherboard drivers were fine (old and new were asrock x79). But I had to let Windows re-install my mouse driver. Which seems strange to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.