[SOLVED] Way to decrese speed loss over extended wifi

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Hello there, I recently extended wifi at home to reach my father's workshop. Reason was for main satelite tv decoder at home and secondary at workshop to see each other/be in one network. Provider issued that recently to reduce malicious practices such as one person buying subscription + 6 secondary decoders and renting them to neighbours for a profit.
I either had to pay twice as much for subscription or tell my father he will no longer be able to watch tv at workshop, so I opted for the third way being somehow getting around that stupid thing. Problem is father insisted on wireless coz he hates cables I suppose and which may have been worse, to do it cheap.

I have TP-Link Archer Ax72(AX5400) router upstairs providing sufficient wifi in entire house. In the corner of upstairs balcony (at 4,7 meter height) I mounted TP-Link CPE21 extender in repeater mode (with in TP-Link RE200 extender in between coz otherwise I had 2/3 out of 5 range on it), pointed towards it's twin at workshop around 50-60 meters away, mounted 2 meter height near workshop window. I tried mounting the second device on tv antenna post at same height as first but then wifi signal was too weak to reach inside of the worhshop. Possible thing of importance, there is a sizable hazelnut tree in between the cpes but straight line between them mostly small branches and leaves.

Singal strength on both cpes is around -70/-75 dbm, snr 25/35 db, don't know what transit ccq or noise are but first is between 95-100 and other says -100 dbm and bar is filled to around 25%. Wifi signal strength measured in phone app or decoder in workshop is around 40%, dl speed at roughly 18mb/s.
It seems to work sufficiently good, I am thinking on throwing in another extender to boost said 40% strength in workshop itself but I'm wondering about the speed. Max speed I got at home is more or less 300 mb/s but that's right near source router, around house I get 100-150 mb/s depending on location so the result in workshop seems a tad low.

I'm open to ideas and opinions, did I mess up somewhere, need stronger gear or should I be satisfied with what I got.

Solution
You might try powerline networks. These work for most people but are a bit slow you might get 150mbps on the ones that say 1000 or 2000. They also work best when they are on the same circuit.
The more electrical wires between the units the less likely they work well. They will not work if the buildings are on different power meters they must share the same main power panel.

What you might consider is buying a powerline unit, don't get the older tech that has a number less than 1000, but be sure to buy it from a vendor that allows unconditional returns. You can buy powerline units that have wifi radios in the remote end but you can also use one of the repeaters you have and plug it into the powerline unit.

Maybe...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello there, I recently extended wifi at home to reach my father's workshop. Reason was for main satelite tv decoder at home and secondary at workshop to see each other/be in one network. Provider issued that recently to reduce malicious practices such as one person buying subscription + 6 secondary decoders and renting them to neighbours for a profit.
I either had to pay twice as much for subscription or tell my father he will no longer be able to watch tv at workshop, so I opted for the third way being somehow getting around that stupid thing. Problem is father insisted on wireless coz he hates cables I suppose and which may have been worse, to do it cheap.

I have TP-Link Archer Ax72(AX5400) router upstairs providing sufficient wifi in entire house. In the corner of upstairs balcony (at 4,7 meter height) I mounted TP-Link CPE21 extender in repeater mode (with in TP-Link RE200 extender in between coz otherwise I had 2/3 out of 5 range on it), pointed towards it's twin at workshop around 50-60 meters away, mounted 2 meter height near workshop window. I tried mounting the second device on tv antenna post at same height as first but then wifi signal was too weak to reach inside of the worhshop. Possible thing of importance, there is a sizable hazelnut tree in between the cpes but straight line between them mostly small branches and leaves.

Singal strength on both cpes is around -70/-75 dbm, snr 25/35 db, don't know what transit ccq or noise are but first is between 95-100 and other says -100 dbm and bar is filled to around 25%. Wifi signal strength measured in phone app or decoder in workshop is around 40%, dl speed at roughly 18mb/s.
It seems to work sufficiently good, I am thinking on throwing in another extender to boost said 40% strength in workshop itself but I'm wondering about the speed. Max speed I got at home is more or less 300 mb/s but that's right near source router, around house I get 100-150 mb/s depending on location so the result in workshop seems a tad low.

I'm open to ideas and opinions, did I mess up somewhere, need stronger gear or should I be satisfied with what I got.
The best approach is to put a pair of wireless bridge (in your case the CPE21) with WIRE back to the primary router and to the device needing network access. You don't want to repeat WIFI.

Reactions: piechockidocent9

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Probably best solution wolf I know. Sadly net source is in south corner room upstairs, motherbox south/east corner room downstairs and worskhop with secondary decoder north/west of the house which would require some spiderwebbing. Wouldn't be a problem if it was up to me, after all "cable is cable" as I often say and hear plus there are plenty of covers, concealers and raceways to hide or even make them aesthetically pleasing but old man has a stubborn mind of it's own.

Is the cable you used to use for satellite tv now disconnected or could you separate it from the cable that is going to the satellite.

What I am thinking you might be able to do is use the coax to carry network to the remote location using MoCA. This will run full gigabit speed on the newer units.

The reason I ask about disconnecting the satellite is things like direct-tv are incompatible. They do have their own form of this so you can use their DVR solution but you would have to buy a directtv box for the remote room. It is a slave to the main receiver not a different account.
If this is some other company you would have to dig around and see if it can coexist with moca. Moca is designed to coexist with cable tv and even most cable docsis internet connections.

Otherwise you have a issue. Repeaters will not connect to other repeaters. Now the so called mesh systems will do this but they are all proprietary solutions and you still need to be careful tplink actually has older generation stuff that will not work with the newest stuff.
I still would not recommend this even if you can get a mesh system to work. Every radio hop is another signal that can be damaged by interference. Unless you buy the very expensive mesh systems that have dedicated back haul radios all these repeated signals will interfere with themselves.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Really neat stuff, never heard of it before but definitly will write it down and try at some point. I'll dig/ask about compatibility (provider is french i think called "canal+ group") but decoder is connected via regular coax so in theory should work.
Unfortunately that's the situation at home, darn workshop is a separate building dozens of meters away connected to main house only via power cables dugged under earth and concrete. It has it's own satelite dish I'd have to drop and drag cable from decoder there to the house dish and again "cable=bad" ...
It seems I am indeed in trouble then with this wireless frankenstein of a network I have created. At least now I know not to throw more mud at the wall by buying yet another repeater to the workshop. I'll try some adjustments tomorrow like throwing out the RE200 extender out of the mix and see what that'll do even though it does seem to work in mesh with the router. Maybe one less device/repater in the equation even at the cost of couple of range bars of cpe will be beneficial in terms of speed.

You might try powerline networks. These work for most people but are a bit slow you might get 150mbps on the ones that say 1000 or 2000. They also work best when they are on the same circuit.
The more electrical wires between the units the less likely they work well. They will not work if the buildings are on different power meters they must share the same main power panel.

What you might consider is buying a powerline unit, don't get the older tech that has a number less than 1000, but be sure to buy it from a vendor that allows unconditional returns. You can buy powerline units that have wifi radios in the remote end but you can also use one of the repeaters you have and plug it into the powerline unit.

Maybe you get lucky and this will work for you. The mesh/ multihop repeater stuff is going to be very messy to get working.

Solution

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Well you're full of good ideas man :_) I think that has the most probable chance of working, gonna try set of those. From what I've seen either Tp-Link or Netgear has 1000/1200 mb/s option available for me. If it doesn't work like you said no harm done, I just have to be carefull not to damage them and can return withing 2 weeks. Kind thanks.