Question Way to get ethernet ports in my house working?

Oct 12, 2019
Have moved into student house for the year, the router is virgin media and in the living room, it is near a port for that room which is labelled 6, each bedroom also has a port labelled 1-5.
In the lobby across from the living room there is 6 ethernet ports labelled 1-6, i'm guessing these provide the connection to the rooms? Basically can i link my router to these ports and provide internet to the rooms in the house? Behind the casing of ports it says Category 5e.
Ideally is there a way to do it without running an ethernet cable across rooms (as seems logical that i'd have to wire it from router into the lobby ethernet ports)? will try to include pictures as well, sorry am out my depth with networking so thanks for any help.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Would seem to me that the necessary cabling is already in place. Just do as you think you should. Have the modem/router in the lobby and Cat 5e running from the router to the six numbered ports there. This should provide Internet access to each of the rooms.

-Wolf sends

Oct 12, 2019
Would seem to me that the necessary cabling is already in place. Just do as you think you should. Have the modem/router in the lobby and Cat 5e running from the router to the six numbered ports there. This should provide Internet access to each of the rooms.

-Wolf sends
Thanks for the reply. The router unfortunately cant be moved as its virgin media, is the only solution to wire across rooms, is there any other way to bridge that gap at all? thanks again for the reply

You can use the port in that room to carry the signal back to the closet. In the closet you would need to buy a small switch and then connect all the jacks to that switch.

I have never seen jacks like those. I strongly suspect those are blank cover plates and not actual jacks. The one marked as 6 in the central room is what I normally would expect to see. Maybe they are just strange ones with dust covers or something.

You need to verify that there are actual jacks in each position and also verify there are actually the proper ethernet wires in there also. If the wires are there you can just buy some keystones and they should snap into these plates.

Oct 12, 2019
You can use the port in that room to carry the signal back to the closet. In the closet you would need to buy a small switch and then connect all the jacks to that switch.

I have never seen jacks like those. I strongly suspect those are blank cover plates and not actual jacks. The one marked as 6 in the central room is what I normally would expect to see. Maybe they are just strange ones with dust covers or something.

You need to verify that there are actual jacks in each position and also verify there are actually the proper ethernet wires in there also. If the wires are there you can just buy some keystones and they should snap into these plates.
Thank you! will have a go at this

TRENDING THREADS