[SOLVED] Way to lower idle clocks for Ryzen 5 5600X ?

Jun 29, 2021
I know the amount of topics on this kind of question are A LOTT.
But I still cant find an answer or if there even is one.
My 5600x constantly runs at like 4.3 GHz on idle with only chrome and discord and so my temps on idle are around 45-55 with annoying spikes for 1 second.
Is there any way to fix this ?
Running the Balanced plan. Switching to Power saver makes the CPU downclock properly from what I know about 1st gen and I get 39c to 40c idle.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
I still have my Hyper 212 EVO that I used on my 1600X before.
So I assume its okay to hit 55c or a bit more during chrome or discord ?
Never used to happen on 1st gen :D
I get max 72-73c in cinebench.

The hyper 212 evo is a bit on the low end for a 5600x...moving to a better air cooler will keep the temp spikes under control. That being said 55c is completely safe. There's really not an issue with the temp spiking even to 72-73c except it is holding the cpu back from reaching it's full clock speed potential. My system rarely goes above 60c under load with the Noctua NH D15 SE AM4 cooler, even when the fans are on low, but it's a big honking cooler so the thermal mass is quite large. I typically see 4.6-4.7ghz boost speeds in...
It's normal operation for modern CPUs to ramp up core clocks with light workloads especially when the system is not really idle with Chrome and Discord running. Not to mention Windows probably has a couple hundred threads or more loaded at any given time that wait for you to stop using the PC so they can start using it.

If the real issue is associated fan noise then the solution is to move to a CPU cooler design with more thermal mass. With a larger/better heatsink with better fans (for example Noctua fans are excellent) than the stock one the occasional temp spikes won't cause audible fan changes. BeQuiet makes some excellent coolers for the AM4 platform as well as Noctua.

If you already have upgraded your CPU cooler then you need to build in a fan profile that doesn't ramp the CPU fans up to noticeable levels until the CPU hit's around 60c.

Jun 29, 2021
It's normal operation for modern CPUs to ramp up core clocks with light workloads especially when the system is not really idle with Chrome and Discord running. Not to mention Windows probably has a couple hundred threads or more loaded at any given time that wait for you to stop using the PC so they can start using it.

If the real issue is associated fan noise then the solution is to move to a CPU cooler design with more thermal mass. With a larger/better heatsink with better fans (for example Noctua fans are excellent) than the stock one the occasional temp spikes won't cause audible fan changes. BeQuiet makes some excellent coolers for the AM4 platform as well as Noctua.

If you already have upgraded your CPU cooler then you need to build in a fan profile that doesn't ramp the CPU fans up to noticeable levels until the CPU hit's around 60c.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
It's black magic to me but what I do know is this.
Don't try to game on Powersaver mode. That will cause hitching and tearing and just a bad experience. I can't be bothered to switch modes all the time so Balanced or High Perf it is for me.
Do you have Cool 'n' Quiet turned on and the rest of the powersaving stuff in BIOS? I overclock so I turn them off.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021
It's black magic to me but what I do know is this.
Don't try to game on Powersaver mode. That will cause hitching and tearing and just a bad experience. I can't be bothered to switch modes all the time so Balanced or High Perf it is for me.
Do you have Cool 'n' Quiet turned on and the rest of the powersaving stuff in BIOS? I overclock so I turn them off.
I do have cool n quiet on. What are some others u can think of ?

Verify that the processor idles without launching anything else after a fresh reboot. Or at least get it to a state where it's running with as few programs as possible. If it works, then start adding back your apps in one by one until the observed issue happens. Then figure out if you really need that up, there's a workaround, or just live with it.

The hyper 212 evo is a bit on the low end for a 5600x...moving to a better air cooler will keep the temp spikes under control. That being said 55c is completely safe. There's really not an issue with the temp spiking even to 72-73c except it is holding the cpu back from reaching it's full clock speed potential. My system rarely goes above 60c under load with the Noctua NH D15 SE AM4 cooler, even when the fans are on low, but it's a big honking cooler so the thermal mass is quite large. I typically see 4.6-4.7ghz boost speeds in lightly threaded apps and 4.4-4.5ghz on all core loads with idle temps often around 30c.

Solution