Way to Minimize a Game Temporarily?

GuestForeverX

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
I'm wondering if there is way to temporarily & easily minimize a game running in steam, steam big picture, and other gaming applications.
When I played limbo I could get to the desktop by using Win+D or Win+[some number for the win 7/8 pin]. This doesn't appear to work for any other games I have tried out. Is there a way I could map a unused key on my keyboard like home, page up, or page down to get back to the desktop to look at firefox, skype, or ect.
The only way I can get out at the moment is by quitting the game.

Solution
If I remember correctly Shift-Tab opens up the steam overlay in steam-supported games (by default).

Alt-Tab is a key combination that is defined by Windows that is supposed to be a shortcut to switch focus between windows/applications. It always works for me (except for a few games, usually older ones, that have issues with losing focus).

However, I don't know what happens in steam big picture since I never use it.

aznricepuff

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
If I remember correctly Shift-Tab opens up the steam overlay in steam-supported games (by default).

Alt-Tab is a key combination that is defined by Windows that is supposed to be a shortcut to switch focus between windows/applications. It always works for me (except for a few games, usually older ones, that have issues with losing focus).

However, I don't know what happens in steam big picture since I never use it.

Solution

GuestForeverX

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

ahhh I was confusing Alt Tab with Shift Tab probably because I have seen so many people just say Shift Tab for the Steam UI. Well It does work to get out of a game and to a desktop I haven't used alt tab forever guess I'm just to reliant on the mouse.

So alt+tab does get me back to my applications thanks =)
It also does work in steam's big picture mode thanks.