Way to recover Windows product key?

Rhysairey

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
I just reinstalled Windows on my old computer, this was because i was getting ready to sell it and did not want them to be able to access my personal files and what not. Upon finishing the install it asked me for my product, I do not have this because they creator of my PC pulled the stick part off and put it on my PC, and me being stupid tore it off because t looked bad. Is there a way to recover this without using my old PC? (has nothing on it from before). Also, i have everything that came with the disk so am i able to find it through there? I also have the product I.D, is that able to help me?

Solution
You could have recovered it from the registry before formatting it, but now if you don't have the sticker, that was the only other copy of it in existence.

Also just formatting the pc and reinstalling windows could potentially leave the rest of your hard drive to be able to be recovered and any photos, files, etc, could be recovered by someone with simply free software.

You need to use a tool like Dban to truly wipe it good.

But that won't get your windows key.
You could have recovered it from the registry before formatting it, but now if you don't have the sticker, that was the only other copy of it in existence.

Also just formatting the pc and reinstalling windows could potentially leave the rest of your hard drive to be able to be recovered and any photos, files, etc, could be recovered by someone with simply free software.

You need to use a tool like Dban to truly wipe it good.

But that won't get your windows key.

Solution

Rhysairey

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

Since you know a lot on the topic, do you know if since i loaded windows with the disk I'm stuck with that one product key, or could i buy one from Kinguin and use one of those product keys instead?