Way to reinstall Windows 10 without loosing any data?

Solution

So much wrong with this.

This is why I asked 'where'.
"Key Sale Online" is not a valid source for OS license keys.

You have 3 options:
1. Reinstall Win 8.1, activate it, and do the Win 10 Upgrade again. This may of may not work.
2. Call MS, and convince them that the Win 8.1 license you got from "Key Sale Online" is a valid license. This probably won't work.
3. Get your money back from "Key Sale Online", and buy a valid OS license.

The second half of...

USAFRet

Titan

This depends on several factors.

1. Why are we doing this?
2. Where did this OS come from?
3. What is on this drive?
4. Do you have other drives with free space?

Jett Wallace

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014
So my motherboard died a few weeks back and I changed it out. The only issue I am having is not being able to activate Windows 10. I am unsuccessful at activating it in CMD and the normal way. I call MS and they said to do a reinstall. Any suggestions??

1. Above
2. I installed Windows 8.1 pro and did an upgrade
3. Os and basic programs on my ssd and another drive has just games
4. Yes my save game drive has 300gb free

theunliked

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Then only thing yuo can do now is to do a clean reinstall. You'll only need to reinstall the basic programs. Everything you have on the other drive including the games will be fine. A reinstall only wipes the OS partition.

I really don't think a simple reinstall will fix your activation problems, because to get windows 10 free, you need to do an upgrade not an install. That's just my opinion. What does everyone else here think?

USAFRet

Titan

A reinstall will not fix your activation issues.

So...
Original Win 8.1, Upgraded to Win 10.
That Win 10 'license' is actually a hash of the original Win 8.1 license and your hardware info. Specifically, the motherboard. That info lives at the mothership.
This being a new motherboard, it is a totally different system and hash. MS activation servers know nothing about this.
Hence, it will not activate. It thinks you're just trying to install this for free on a whole new system.

CMD activation? No....
You MUST go through MS to get this activated, probably talking to a human.

Call again, and explain exactly what happened (broken/replaced motherboard).

Jett Wallace

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014

So basically you are saying the upgrade changed the key to an OEM one.

USAFRet

Titan

Mostly, yes.

What, specifically, did you install before? Where did the Win 8.1 come from?

Jett Wallace

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014

I am confused on what you are asking. Like what do you mean?

Jett Wallace

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014

The product key was purchase from a site called Key Sale Online. I downloaded the ISO and put it on a thumb drive to do the install. The key was sold to me as a Retail Key

USAFRet

Titan

So much wrong with this.

This is why I asked 'where'.
"Key Sale Online" is not a valid source for OS license keys.

You have 3 options:
1. Reinstall Win 8.1, activate it, and do the Win 10 Upgrade again. This may of may not work.
2. Call MS, and convince them that the Win 8.1 license you got from "Key Sale Online" is a valid license. This probably won't work.
3. Get your money back from "Key Sale Online", and buy a valid OS license.

The second half of #3 is your only really way forward.

Solution

theunliked

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Because the only requirement for the windows 10 upgrade is that you have an activated version of windows 7/8/8.1. Even if its not a genuine product key, you'll still be eligible for an upgrade, as long as you are activated. I know, because my friend did it. I don't know why yours didn't work though.

Jett Wallace

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014
Here is an update, What I have decided to do is install windows 8.1 pro again and then update to 10. This actually works out for the best because I am also getting a new HDD for Christmas. If I run into any problems along the way I will be sure to update the thread.

TRENDING THREADS