Way to sleep backlit keyboard health issues design flaw.

ra8ul

Prominent
Aug 1, 2020
Is there a way to make back-lit keyboard sleep after few minutes of in activity. Lenovo support has been the worst experience i had.

Issues faced :

1. Due to high illumination of the keyboard back-lit having inflammation in eyes which has only medium and high settings no low settings.
  2. Circadian Rhythm disruption due to white light exposure although i have set night light in Windows 10 but keyboard light is effecting my sleep cycles.
  3. White light also attracts bugs now i understand why MSI and ASUS have Red/Orange as they keyboard back-lit for Gaming laptop as default.
  4. The display goes to sleep but the keyboard back-lit is still on its consuming battery and its inefficient.
I have been trying to get some support from Lenovo but the they seem very un-professional issue was not attended to until 6 months. Is the premium lenovo support this crappy or is it just me ?

I do not understand your problem.
Why not simply close the laptop lid when you sleep.
Read the laptop manual. There should be a switch to turn off back lighting completely.

As to lenovo support, why did you wait for 6 months?

ra8ul

Prominent
Aug 1, 2020
Major issue is with first and second points Eye are turning red due to white light from keyboard it's illumination is quite high compared to other laptops in addition to that there is no low light settings only medium and high settings.
There is night light settings in both android and windows 10 for display to protect eyes and Circadian Rhythm disruption which changes sleep cycles. But the keyboard light is so high that even in medium settings as good as small led light on eyes.

I have written 3 mails for reminder but they are not replying.

Solution i was looking for was sleep of keyboard back-lit after few minutes of inactivity this could be done with updates to keyboard firmware. I have tried to use software or script to sleep back-lit after in activity but Fn key does not have a scan code associated with it so i cannot map the key to automation tool or scripts.

I cannot close my lid every hour when i go for break but this is not much of a concern to me its just battery draining and inefficient energy management.

Laptop model is y540

Thanks in advance.

Here is the user manual:
https://www.manualsearcher.com/lenovo/legion-y540-15irh/manual?p=23
On page 17, it shows that there is a hotkey to turn off the keyboard backlight.
I think you need to hold the fn key while you toggle the backlight key.

When you shut the lid, the normal thing that happens is that the laptop hibernates.
That is a state where the contents of ram are saved, and the only power used is a very low amount to keep ram active.
Essentially like a full power off.

ra8ul

Prominent
Aug 1, 2020
If i talk about scripts and automation tools that means i am trying to automate the same key combinations Fn + space bar i know that. Please do not answer for the sake of it. I have never mentioned hibernation or shutdown when display is off it means sleep for short period of in activeness.

If i press Fn + space bar once it directly goes to medium setting + Back-light on
Twice Fn + space bar is high settings.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
If i talk about scripts and automation tools that means i am trying to automate the same key combinations Fn + space bar i know that. Please do not answer for the sake of it. I have never mentioned hibernation or shutdown when display is off it means sleep for short period of in activeness.

If i press Fn + space bar once it directly goes to medium setting + Back-light on
Twice Fn + space bar is high settings.
A short script in AutoHotKey would be able to invoke that FN+<whatever> keystroke. On demand or probably on a timer.

ra8ul

Prominent
Aug 1, 2020
A short script in AutoHotKey would be able to invoke that FN+<whatever> keystroke. On demand or probably on a timer.

Thank you for the response i have tried this solution but Fn key does not seem to have a scan code associated. I have tried to to use AutoHotkey but i could not find script associated with Fn key press. Please look at Fn key community post below. AutoHotkey is quite well managed Automation software only hope i have left with but very difficult software to use for starters i do have experience in creating scripts but scan code for Fn key is not possible its hardware linked key and does not send code to OS directly.

https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=71015
https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/27841-remapping-the-fn-key-a-solution/page-2

AutoHotkey help related to documentation will be appreciated. I have tried around 15 community Forum post either links are dead or unresolved.

Was hoping that Lenovo could come up with driver update or firmware update for the keyboard to make sleep keyboard when inactive or at least reduce the intensity of keyboard back light but to no avail premium support is so crappy that they have not replied to my request in spite of repeated reminders for 6 months.

ra8ul

Prominent
Aug 1, 2020

Can we change LED of keyboard from white to Red/Orange is it easy to do or way to complicated ? Thanks

Is there a way to make back-lit keyboard sleep after few minutes of in activity. Lenovo support has been the worst experience i had.

Issues faced :

1. Due to high illumination of the keyboard back-lit having inflammation in eyes which has only medium and high settings no low settings.
  2. Circadian Rhythm disruption due to white light exposure although i have set night light in Windows 10 but keyboard light is effecting my sleep cycles.
  3. White light also attracts bugs now i understand why MSI and ASUS have Red/Orange as they keyboard back-lit for Gaming laptop as default.
  4. The display goes to sleep but the keyboard back-lit is still on its consuming battery and its inefficient.
I have been trying to get some support from Lenovo but the they seem very un-professional issue was not attended to until 6 months. Is the premium lenovo support this crappy or is it just me ?

The reason other makers selected other colors is not due to bugs or anything else, it's for looks. Red is "cooler" for a gaming setup. The keyboard stays on even when you don't touch the laptop for a while?

The FN and spacebar has 3 light functions, off, low and high.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/in/en/...-series/legion-y520-15ikbn/solutions/ht117804

Swapping LEDs will take a long time, you need to remove the keyboard and solder on new LEDs.

ra8ul

Prominent
Aug 1, 2020
The reason other makers selected other colors is not due to bugs or anything else, it's for looks. Red is "cooler" for a gaming setup. The keyboard stays on even when you don't touch the laptop for a while?

The FN and spacebar has 3 light functions, off, low and high.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/in/en/...-series/legion-y520-15ikbn/solutions/ht117804

Swapping LEDs will take a long time, you need to remove the keyboard and solder on new LEDs.

White Led's on keyboard which is highly illuminating and eye protection/night light color transition which is "Orange" in the night also protects eye from harmful UV light on the screen are quite contradictory to each other. Quite a lot study has gone into it in last 5 years its definitely a design flaw specially if andriod, windows 10 and Apple are using it for screen light/ eye protection.

Yes there is no sleep of keyboard backlight of prolonged in activeness example if i am watching a movie or youtube videos just using mouse this can be achieved with keyboard firmware update

I do not think any OEM is good enough to go as far as researching keyboard light attracting Bugs but that was in addition to above issues.

I have keyboard backlight in office laptop its not that illuminating i think Gaming laptops do have high illumination keyboard backlight from what i have seen in videos.I bought this laptop on amazon where they mentioned change lights monitor temperature but that was for a different iteration within the same listing.

Thanks would have to look this as a last resort to replace Led of keyboards.

Thank you for response.

-- snip -
Yes there is no sleep of keyboard backlight of prolonged in activeness example if i am watching a movie or youtube videos just using mouse this can be achieved with keyboard firmware update
- snip -

When you use the mouse that would wake up the system input, and if the keyboard backlight is on it would turn on. If you just leave it sitting there just playing something on the screen it should remain off.

ra8ul

Prominent
Aug 1, 2020
When you use the mouse that would wake up the system input, and if the keyboard backlight is on it would turn on. If you just leave it sitting there just playing something on the screen it should remain off.

When a mouse is inactive for 5 minutes its infrared sensor shuts down to save energy but when i switch on keyboard backlight manually by Fn+space bar if i am watching Netflix for 5 hours i will not use keyboard probably use mouse but i have to switch off the keyboard backlight manually the keyboard driver or firmware will not switch off backlight, if keyboard is inactive but system is active.

This is an alternative solution which might relieve my concerns to an extent but since have no support from lenovo i guess have to live with it.I do not think its an exaggerated request to have an option to switch on/off keyboard backlight sleep for prolonged in-activeness considering so many issues are linked to it.

Thank you for help.

TRENDING THREADS