[SOLVED] Way too many frames?

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
Does getting ~900-1000 FPS on Minecraft with unlimited FPS on a GTX 650 Ti make sense? My monitors are overclocked to 65 Hz (from 60), so is it just drawing that many and then they go to waste? When I do this my GPU usage and temps go up and down (from 50% & degrees C to 100% & 80 degrees C) about once every 2-3 seconds.
I have it set to VSync and it gives me 65, which is what the monitors are running at, so what happens to those extra ~900 frames?
Do they turn into heat?
It's interesting to listen to, because I hear "WHIRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRRrrrrrr" as the fan goes up and down.
Voom!

Solution
Doesn't really matter how many frames your GPU puts out if your screen can't actually show you that many frames. The only difference having more frames than your maximum refresh rate is the reduced input lag you're gonna experience(which doesn't make much difference in a game like minecraft).
The extra frames don't go anywhere, they're there, your GPU puts them out, but your monitor can only display the amount that it can.

And regarding the temp issue, the primary use of vsync is reducing the screen tear, but locking the frame rate to your screen's refresh rate helps not to overload and overheat the GPU by not having to produce frames that can't be displayed anyways. The harder your GPU works and the more load it processes, the...

Zer0123

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
Doesn't really matter how many frames your GPU puts out if your screen can't actually show you that many frames. The only difference having more frames than your maximum refresh rate is the reduced input lag you're gonna experience(which doesn't make much difference in a game like minecraft).
The extra frames don't go anywhere, they're there, your GPU puts them out, but your monitor can only display the amount that it can.

And regarding the temp issue, the primary use of vsync is reducing the screen tear, but locking the frame rate to your screen's refresh rate helps not to overload and overheat the GPU by not having to produce frames that can't be displayed anyways. The harder your GPU works and the more load it processes, the hotter it's gonna get and the shorter its lifespan will be. So why overheat when you can't even see the difference.

Reactions: PiVO 7717
Solution

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
@Zer0123 is right, if that is the case you should "undervolted" it, limit the frame rate with Riva tuner for example or use v-sync. Had the same problem, display at 60 FPS and a rx 5700 xt, 400 FPS on the gpu and lag like a B on Warzone...