[SOLVED] Ways to approach backups

frostbite_r1

Commendable
Jan 18, 2021
Had an SSD failure recently (samsung 970 evo 2TB). Lost all data on SSD, but had a 2TB drive and was able to save that data.

I have a WD Gold 6TB and a WD black 5TB.
Was thinking about it and question is:
What ways can I approach backing up data to external HDD?

Should it be NAS? (looked into Raid and looks expensive)
Should it just be a multi-bay enclosure? (already have an external enclosure)

Anyways just wanted to get some thoughts.
probably going to stick with WD drives.

Solution
frost, to keep it simple.....first line of backup.....good backup software and a good backup drive in the pc. then when you have the money look at ssd in and enclouser or one that connects to your network for speed. at some point look for some good cloud storage and or a place to keep a copy off site of there a fire or flood.

USAFRet

Titan
Here is a good start:

My procedure is the first in there.

frost, to keep it simple.....first line of backup.....good backup software and a good backup drive in the pc. then when you have the money look at ssd in and enclouser or one that connects to your network for speed. at some point look for some good cloud storage and or a place to keep a copy off site of there a fire or flood.

Solution

frostbite_r1

Commendable
Jan 18, 2021
Yea, I did look out cloud storage today.
pcloud and icedrive.

Also will move some important stuff to onedrive and google drive to reduce churn.

The 6TB WD gold should hold me over till SSD's have enough storage to become the norm.
Probably will sell my WD black 5tb, maybe get another wd gold 4/6TB and just copy to it once and leave offline.