Ways to hook up my PC to the internet

tylerd308

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
I am currently building a PC and I’m a bit of an idiot when it comes to the internet and desktops (I’ve always had laptops). So I’m wondering what do you guys think is the best way to hook up the internet to my desktop. I know Ethernet is going to give me less lag and I’m thinking I could move the router from the room it’s in to the room my computer is going to be in. But I want to explore my options.

mrmez

Splendid
Ethernet or wifi.

Ethernet will be onboard pretty much every motherboard, so no need to add anything.
Wifi will be on some boards, and they can vary a lot, otherwise will need to add a pci wifi card.

These days there isn't much difference for speed and ping between wifi and ethernet, tho wifi can vary depending on hardware and signal strength.

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
You can get a decent wlan adapter for about $25 like the Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I, but wireless will never give you the stability, low latency or bandwidth Ethernet can.
https://www.howtogeek.com/217463/wi-fi-vs.-ethernet-how-much-better-is-a-wired-connection/
https://www.maketecheasier.com/ethernet-vs-wifi-in-gaming/

That's all very well, but ping time isn't the be all and end all of a good connection.

They won't be identical in all situations, especially in a home.
A good ping time says nothing about reliability of connection either, and that's a WiFi weakness.

PC + WLAN adapter then to router
PC + Ethernet adapter (mobo always has it) then to router
PC + Ethernet adapter (mobo always has it) + PowerLAN adapter
PC + Ethernet adapter (mobo always has it) + WLAN repeater then to router
I will not mention the connection to LTE, etc. here

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018

Thanks for summing up!

tylerd308

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
So all I would need to do for Ethernet is to move my router across the hall where my PC will be and then just plug in a Ethernet cable into both of them... seems easier i think I’ll do that

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018

Yes, go for it. Have fun!

tylerd308

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
I ran into a problem.. my router is from AT&T so it’s a cable connection. I’d have to change my outlets around in my room just to hook it up in there. I don’t want to be doing too much work just to move a router so do you really think I’d be ok with a USB adapter or a PCIe card?

mrmez

Splendid
Just go wifi. It sounds like your router is close enough that signal will be great.

As for reliability, I get more CRC errors from my internet than wifi.
Since my last restart: over 200 million packets sent & received. Zero errors or collisions.

tylerd308

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017

you think you could add a good pcie card?

mrmez

Splendid
I use mac's, so everything is built in and I've got very little exp with other hardware.

My gaming PC has a TP Link USB with an internal antenna. Works well enough. Another PC I recently built another using this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pxrcCJ/tp-link-wireless-network-card-archert9e
I got a good deal at ~$68AUD, they seem to be more expensive now.

It's literally as far from my router as physically possible. Still connects at ~150Mb/s, and is 100% stable.
Adding external antenna if signal is poor is cheap and easy.

You may want to consider powerline devices.

Wifi if you go PCI card you want the more expensive models that extend the antenna away from the card. The main disadvantage to PCI cards is the antenna are located next to a big metal case that blocks the signals somewhat. USB does not have that issue since you can easily extend it away from the case but USB devices are primarily meant for portable use so you would need to find one that transmits at full power and has larger antenna. To get portability many make the devices very small and run low power to conserve battery.

Wifi works very well for everything except games. Games though tend to be what most people on this forum at least use their computer for. The problem is not the speed or how high the ping time is. The problem is the ping time can vary significantly at random times. Since the game is using this latency to calculate ingame positions variations in the ping times causes lag spikes and rubber banding.

Most other application can hide these variations in the delay but anything that is actually real time is not recommended to be used on wifi

tylerd308

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
I actually just moved my bed and I found a cable coming out of my wall that is the same cable that is on the modem so I still may be able to move it into my room