Question Ways to show all displays and applications within them to allow dragging of apps across displays

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, under Windows 10, is there a keyboard shortcut to show all displays and applications within them to allow us to drag application windows across the displays?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you mean multiple monitors or just multiple desktops? It is 2 different things but many of the search results are muddled. Multiple monitors is self explanatory but multiple desktops is where you make and can select multiple desktops on one monitor.

I assumed you mean multiple desktops

WIndows 10 multi desktop support was something I hated as they added the feature and never really changed it or made it useful. I could see it as being useful but they didn't add anything to it for 5 years...
this might help = https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/138738-show-window-app-all-virtual-desktops-windows-10-a.html
They actually made it slightly more useful in win 11, at least it remembers the desktop wallpaper now.
Desktop selection actually has a button and its a little easier to swap apps between desktops

StWo97a.jpg

compare the options in 10 to 11 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...b-2ff9-e1a60c976434#WindowsVersion=Windows_11

Maybe by win 12 you can actually set apps to run on one. Right now only way apps remember is if you use hibernate.

Last edited:

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I guess a bit of both. When I activate Windows 10's Task View, I see a thumbnail view of all the displays I have at the top left. What I want to do is to be able to drag those application windows among the thumbnails and have them moved to the corresponding screen accordingly.

Colif

Win 11 Master
isn't that what it lets you do now?
If i create a new desktop and drag the window of an application over one of the boxes, it moves it to that desktop
QstSG42.jpg

for example above it lets me copy that to a new desktop just by dragging it over

Colif

Win 11 Master
mine are virtual desktops, I made them just before showing screen shot.
Are yours real monitors or virtual?

I don't think it shows real monitors among them
instead if you have multiple monitors and click button, menu shows on all real displays at once.

can you right click the application and choose Move To, and select desktop from drop down list? As thats the 2nd method of using it
ppdyXGw.jpg

Not sure this will help
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

note: glad you asked me as I never noticed the option "Show this window on all desktops" as I can use that to show my 2 hwinfo charts on all my desktops now.
"Show windows from this app on all desktops" just means you can swap desktops and not have to move the app windows to this desktop, just click icon and it shows.
I might use multi desktops more on 11 now.

Last edited:

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Some applications have Move To after right clicking the mouse but some have this option dimmed.

I tried the commands you suggested but the situation does not seem to have changed.

I have two real physical displays and a dummy 4K HDMI adapter connected to the GPU of my PC. Problem is that some applications go to the 3rd screen which corresponds to the dummy adapter. I have to unplug the dummy adapter for the applications to show up on real physical screen. If there is an app that would display the contents of all three displays and allow dragging of applications among the three screens, that would be much more convenience.

TRENDING THREADS