[SOLVED] WD 14TB Ultrastar 7200 rpm SATA 3.5" Internal Data Center HDD (Retail) issues

Sep 11, 2019
hi
so i bought this HDD to use it on my desktop pc:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...bur0140bnc_wrsn_ultrastar_14tb_3_5_drive.html
im having issues with it now.(alot)
it wont show nor in bios or in device manager. but in bios when i go to raid setting, it shows it there.but i cant do anything with it.
i've tried every methode possable. like using a molex to sata cable, unpluging all of my other drivers just to check this. trying diffrent cables. none worked for me.
one thing that i saw was that when i changed my pch storage configuration from intel RST to AHCI it shows it in device manager, but not in bios,
and when i try to initialize it, it gives me this error:
Virtual Disk Manager ; Request could not be preformed because of an I/O device error.
have i purchased the wrong one?
or is the hdd defect?
i digged every where and on thier website (WD) they had this:
https://documents.westerndigital.co...h-brief-western-digital-power-disable-pin.pdf
look at the part which it says without Power Disable Feature.
0F31284, this is my model.
which mine doesn have Power Disable Feature.
can somebody help/guid me through this?
am i doing something wrong?
is my pc an issue?
im returing this drive now, but i need the storage capacity.

in case any one asked,my mobo is:
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME

my psu is:
Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold

Solution
just a quick update.
the hard drive was defect.
i got a replacement and now it works
i even contacted asus and they were nice and tested the same HDD and inform me that it works with the mobo.
hope this thread helps anyone whom tries to buy it.
So do you have a RAID array active? If so, that controller is dedicated to RAID. If you want to keep your RAID array and add another drive as just "a drive", you would want to get a controller card, since all the SATA ports on your board run off the one Intel controller.

Sep 11, 2019
Link us to a photo of the drive's label please.
here you go:
AvZo4uw.jpg

Sep 11, 2019
So do you have a RAID array active? If so, that controller is dedicated to RAID. If you want to keep your RAID array and add another drive as just "a drive", you would want to get a controller card, since all the SATA ports on your board run off the one Intel controller.
sorry i didnt quite catch what you meant. care to explain more?

OK, you said "when i go to raid setting, it shows it there" so I wanted to verify.
What OS are you running? I mean, it should just show up in the BIOS unless you have a strange BIOS setting applied that we don't know about. I don't really see anything negative about these drives. The document you pulled seems to reference a system that has been in place for years, and wouldn't affect a drive at power-on. Can you tell if the drive is actually spinning up when you power on the machine?

Sep 11, 2019
OK, you said "when i go to raid setting, it shows it there" so I wanted to verify.
What OS are you running? I mean, it should just show up in the BIOS unless you have a strange BIOS setting applied that we don't know about. I don't really see anything negative about these drives. The document you pulled seems to reference a system that has been in place for years, and wouldn't affect a drive at power-on. Can you tell if the drive is actually spinning up when you power on the machine?
win 10 pro x64
i just wanted to inform that i have done these stuff and i randomly find them.
and no again, my bios is fully intact.
the drive spins too.
i dont know, is there any chance that my mobo's sata port has limits? cause i read that maximum capacity any sata port can take is 10 tb.
i have 2x@TB nvme drives, 2x4TB SSD, 1x6TB HDD and they all work.
i'm planing to return it( in case i didnt find any sloutions) to get the 10TB or 8TB version to test them out to.
i currently conatced asus and waiting for thier answer too.

popatim

Titan
Sata itself doesn't limit Hdd size. It doesn't even care. All it cares about is signalling.
The BIOS might though....

As for seeing the drive in the raid settings, what raid settings?
From your comment that you see it in Raid but not in Device manager nor Bios, it sounds like you've attached this to a raid controller port and need to Set it up there (raid) first. If you're cotroller allows you to set it to 'passthru' or 'single drive' then use that other wise set it to be in a raid1 and format it in the raid software. (Yes you can have a single drive raid 1)

Sep 11, 2019
Sata itself doesn't limit Hdd size. It doesn't even care. All it cares about is signalling.
The BIOS might though....

As for seeing the drive in the raid settings, what raid settings?
From your comment that you see it in Raid but not in Device manager nor Bios, it sounds like you've attached this to a raid controller port and need to Set it up there (raid) first. If you're cotroller allows you to set it to 'passthru' or 'single drive' then use that other wise set it to be in a raid1 and format it in the raid software. (Yes you can have a single drive raid 1)
as far as i know all of my sata ports are raid controllers too.(from the mobo's manulas)
and i tried to set it up as raid1, but it wouldn't allow me to do it.(single drive)
what seems odd is that when i switch my PCH configuration from intel RST to AHCI it shows it in device manger only and not in bios, and as i stated, when i try to inilliaze it, it gives me this error:
Virtual Disk Manager ; Request could not be preformed because of an I/O device error.

to sum up, i've returned the drive and currently im waiting for a replace to try it as soon as it arrives.
i contated ASUS regarding this issue and i'm waiting for an answer from them too.
maybe the drive was a defect.(physical damages due to shipping) since i tried it on another pc and the same thing happend.

i'll keep here updated.

Sep 11, 2019
just a quick update.
the hard drive was defect.
i got a replacement and now it works
i even contacted asus and they were nice and tested the same HDD and inform me that it works with the mobo.
hope this thread helps anyone whom tries to buy it.

Solution
That is too funny. And sad. One of the largest SATA hard drives a consumer can buy, and they send you a bad unit. I know, something could have happened in shipping, but generally you would see physical damage of that were the case. Hopefully we just aren't seeing reports of the thousands upon thousands of these that are selling without issue. Thanks for the update, and so glad you hear you have a huge working drive now!

Sep 11, 2019
That is too funny. And sad. One of the largest SATA hard drives a consumer can buy, and they send you a bad unit. I know, something could have happened in shipping, but generally you would see physical damage of that were the case. Hopefully we just aren't seeing reports of the thousands upon thousands of these that are selling without issue. Thanks for the update, and so glad you hear you have a huge working drive now!
yeah. i hope no one gets a damaged/defect unit.
even after i made my purchase, i told them to pack the HDD in a firmly protected box and they kindda didn't.
but the the replacement i got was in 2 boxes staked inside each other with air sealed plastics.(i contacted them again to asked them to do that)
overall i can recommend this HDD to everyone as i purchased 2 other units of the same model.
they are great and i yet can't say they are future protected. but it has all the protections it need(anti-vibration & ect..)
currently testing the reliability of the drive.

on the side for everyone else, from where ever you buy it, tell them to seal it in a well protected box, as they are sensitive to physical.

Sep 11, 2019
yeah. i hope no one gets a damaged/defect unit.
even after i made my purchase, i told them to pack the HDD in a firmly protected box and they kindda didn't.
but the the replacement i got was in 2 boxes staked inside each other with air sealed plastics.(i contacted them again to asked them to do that)
overall i can recommend this HDD to everyone as i purchased 2 other units of the same model.
they are great and i yet can't say they are future protected. but it has all the protections it need(anti-vibration & ect..)
currently testing the reliability of the drive.

on the side for everyone else, from where ever you buy it, tell them to seal it in a well protected box, as they are sensitive to physical.
ohh and i also forgot to mention, as i contacted ASUS regarding this issue, they were nice enough to test the HDD for compability and letting me know, and it works with the mobo that i have.