Wd 1tb Blue Hard Drive recognized in Bios but not in Windows 8.1

Blaze101xx

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
The model number is WD10EZEX. I have checked my disk manager, its not there. I don't know what to do. I'm using a Crucial MX100 as my boot drive, but it only has 124 GB's of storage, so I need that 1TB hard drive working, please help me.

Solution
Go to "Metro View" and start typing "Disk Management" and press enter. Then choose "Create and format hard disk partitions". "Disk Management" will open up. You should see the drive there. Right-click on the drive and choose "format". It will take you through a series of questions, but bottom line is that you want to do a quick format of the drive in NTFS format. After you do that, it will then show up under "Windows Explorer".

Blaze101xx

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

I'm sorry but i'm confused. What are you saying I should do? I went to the start menu and searched disk management and its not showing up at all.

caqde

Distinguished
you should end up with an option called create and format hard disk partitions in windows 8.1 click on that. It should bring up the disk management application. If your drive is functional it should show up there. (Although only as Disk 0/1/2/etc with the size). There you will need to setup the drive (Set it up as GPT/MBR and create a partition on the drive)

Blaze101xx

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

So how would I "end up" there. Do I click Create VHD?

Blaze101xx

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

I get what you are saying, my hard drive is not showing up there but it shows up in my BIOS.

MundoDragon

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009

Make absolutely sure it is not there. A new drive usually won't show up in the top list (as it will have no drive letter yet), but will be in the bottom section waiting for you to initialize it. I don't know why Microsoft decided to make it so difficult in newer versions of Windows. I recently went through this same problem trying to initialize my drive. It took me a minute before I noticed it just hanging out down below there.

Brad T

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
Go to "Metro View" and start typing "Disk Management" and press enter. Then choose "Create and format hard disk partitions". "Disk Management" will open up. You should see the drive there. Right-click on the drive and choose "format". It will take you through a series of questions, but bottom line is that you want to do a quick format of the drive in NTFS format. After you do that, it will then show up under "Windows Explorer".

Solution