[SOLVED] WD 2 TB External Hard Drive to multiple via USB TVs -- No PC or NAS

Jan 8, 2022
Apologies if this has already been answered, i have attempted to search myself.

Looking to connect an External Hard Drive containing MP4s, to multiple TVs (Through USB).

Being able to watch multiple different MP4s at once. The TVs range from smart TVs to old flats, but they're all able to read the HD individually.

Attempted a cheap Powered USB 3.0 Hub, to no luck., preferably don't wish to use a NAS unless it's the only choice.

I'm under the impression that just splitting the USB connection to input into TVs won't work.

Any help appreciated! Apologies if this is the incorrect section to post.

Solution

Looking to connect an External Hard Drive containing MP4s, to multiple TVs (Through USB).

Being able to watch multiple different MP4s at once. The TVs range from smart TVs to old flats, but they're all able to read the HD individually.

Attempted a cheap Powered USB 3.0 Hub, to no luck., preferably don't wish to use a NAS unless it's the only choice.

I'm under the impression that just splitting the USB connection to input into TVs won't work.

USB is not a shared host interface. The reliable way to share to multiple TVs is ethernet. TVs which don't support networking...

kanewolf

Titan

USB is not a shared host interface. The reliable way to share to multiple TVs is ethernet. TVs which don't support networking will have to have something like a Roku or similar so thzt shared media protocols can be used.

Solution