Question WD 20tb drive no power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2022
hello, i have a Wd my book duo 20tb hd. it is 2 10tb red drives. i set it up as a raid 1 set up (one drive is mirror for the other)

the case/enclosure for the drives is no longer powering up. i believe the drives are ok.

have asked WD for help but they proved quite useless and unhelpful. the hd is just out of warranty. they said to check the power adapter but i had told them in my first question to them that i had metered the power adapter was giving the correct voltage on both sides of the adapter.

I have also taken both drives out of case and tried to power up and still nothing happens, no leds and no fan spinning in the case, which why i believe the case to be the problem

i was trying to get a another wd enclosure/case but they will not sell one.

what i care about is the data.

reading on other forums and so on, it is getting very confusing about WD drives especially the red ones. it seems i can not put the drive in my comp or in another enclosure/case because of the encryption in WD red drives. if i do, then win 10 will not recognize the hd and will want to initialize it and then i lose my data.

i did not set up any encryption or password, seemingly this is on the WD drives.

is that correct?

anyway can i get another case/enclosure and use the drives?

if so any recommendations ?

any help in getting the drives to work with win 10 so can get data off the drives and onto other ssds

system is win 10 pro. ...up to date

thank you

WD exernal drives are, by default, encrypted. You can only read them from another identical enclosure. Or, you can send the drives off to a recovery service that may be able to recover the data, for a price ($$$). There's nothing you yourself can do here. This is exactly why we preach backups here (RAID is NOT a backup).

popatim

Titan
Actually, and unless things have changed since last years 'wipe' fiasco, I don't think Mybooks were encrypted if you didn't set the password.
If this is a simple controller failure, you may be able to recover your data with an external dock/adapter. The Mybooks would just use an internal ext4 format and your data is in partition 4 I believe. You will need an software app reader for ext4 if you plan on using windows otherwise use linux.

Jan 18, 2022
thank you all for the quick replies, much appreciated.

i did not set any password ....so i hope you are right popatim

i really believe the power is gone on the case. i took out the drives to see if the case would power up on its own and it did not

im not a comp expert.... any suggestions for ext4app (i dont know what this app is) for win? and any suggestions for a dock that might be suitable?

call me naive but i got this drive 3 years ago for back up reason because that was one of the ways is it was pitched ...had i known about wd drives i would not have gotten them

and yes ,now i know that raid is not a back up, at that time and until this happened i thought it was

again thanks for the speedy replies

Jan 18, 2022
hello an update.

WD have decided to send me a 4tb my book duo with drives and they tell me to put my 10tb drives into the 4tb case and return the bad case with the 4tb drives inside

so thumbs for WD.

i have a question for ex_bubblehead....

so a raid 1 storage set up is not a back up....

what is a good back up set up?

thank you

USAFRet

Titan
what is a good back up set up?
Indeed, RAID 1 is NOT a backup method.

Status
Not open for further replies.