[SOLVED] WD 2TB EADS S.M.A.R.T. fail

davenlr

Commendable
Aug 25, 2017
I have an old WD drive. All pass smart except reallocated sectors. It has 1200 of them, and fails smart test. There are no pending. This occurred when the fan on its external enclosure failed. I did a 23 hour reformat (which should map out any bad sectors) but it still fails smart. Since it works fine, and other than the one over heat episode, is there a way to reset the smart data? I would think a long format would have reset it.

USAFRet

Titan
I have an old WD drive. All pass smart except reallocated sectors. It has 1200 of them, and fails smart test. There are no pending. This occurred when the fan on its external enclosure failed. I did a 23 hour reformat (which should map out any bad sectors) but it still fails smart. Since it works fine, and other than the one over heat episode, is there a way to reset the smart data? I would think a long format would have reset it.
No, you can't reset the SMART data.

You can manipulate the firmware with a tool such as WDMarvel (clear SMART and G-list), but it's not freeware. You can also use this tool to "selfscan" certain models, which essentially recertifies them in the same way as when they are refurbished.