Question WD 2TB external USB HDD not detected in BIOS nor Windows after smart TV use but detected normally in TV and Android tablet

Jan 12, 2020
Dear mates,
as the title implies, my WD Passport 2 TB USB external HDD was used in a Samsung TV for watching photos and movies. I did not record anything to it nor do I remember the TV asking for such a thing.
Now the HDD is not seen in Windows anymore (including Device Manager and Disk Management). Furthermore the HDD is not seen in BIOS either, which I think is the primary point where it's not detected.
Funny thing is, the TV, and other TVs see it just fine, play from it like normal. Furthermore, so does Android 4.3, as I tried it on my Asus tablet. Again, sees all the files, plays the media...no problem.
I have tried SeaTools for DOS bootable on a flash drive. That is running Linux and it did NOT see the external HDD, just my PC drives. Parted Magic bootable, same thing....does NOT see it.
The fact that the TVs and Android DO see it without a problem, and they also run Linux, but SeaTools does not see it(also running Linux BUT used in the PC with its BIOS), i think, points to the fact that whatever happened in the TV changed something in the drive so that the BIOS doesnt see the drive anymore.

If plugged in the PC the drive just turns on (LED light), I can hear it spinning. It even works if the PC is turned OFF. Yes, it has been tested on 1 other PC and 3 laptops, no change. So its not a Hardware problem.

The question: what did the TV change and how do I revert it back to make the HDD visible in BIOS and inclusively Windows again.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020
Thanks man but its not that. I had no problems with it on USB 3.0 until I used it in that stupid Samsung TV. So why would it all of a sudden not work on USB 3.0 any more?

Jan 12, 2020
Yah. Very long. Doubt my 4K curved smart TV has only USB 2.0. And after transfering data from the USB drive to an SD card on my tablet, both being connected at the same time (60 GB transfered) im sure the tablet has an USB 3.0 connection, and its sees the drive just fine. So the pins on the HDD cable are very likely fine.