WD 4TB, size 0, MBR unreadable

Mar 21, 2018
Hello people,
i purchased a month ago a 4 TB internal HDD (WD blue).
at this moment my MB cannot recognize it, and the only way i can get some kind of access is if i connect it to a USB hdd hub.
i think i have a bad sector at the MBR/MFT section.

i am on windows 10, 64 bit
after running the "WD Data lifeguard diagnostics" this is what i got:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD40
Unit Serial Number:
Firmware Number:
Capacity: 0.00 GB
SMART Status: Not Available
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 18:58:59, March 21, 2018

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD40
Unit Serial Number:
Firmware Number:
Capacity: 0.00 GB
SMART Status: Not Available
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Unable to repair bad sectors.
Test Time: 18:59:12, March 21, 2018

cant make a low format, repair mbr, chkdsk.
i tried to use from DOS (as admin) the diskpart command, but even the "clean" command does nothing at all.

i have 3,5 TB of highly important data in there.
any ideas?

thank you in advance! :)

RealBeast

Titan
Since it failed Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows I would RMA the drive for a new one.

To attempt retrieval of any data prior to replacement have you tried Recuva, EASEUS, or any other data recovery programs? If the data is worth a large amount (like priceless family pictures) you can spend a very large amount to have it recovered in a clean room like Seagate Data Recovery if none of the free or cheap tools work.

You might also try mounting it in a Live Linux build, which sometimes will work even if Windows won't. I use THIS free tool to make my Linux boot stick with Ubuntu or Mint.

Mar 21, 2018
RealBeast,
untill now i have tried the following programs
1) ZAR X
2) GetBackData for NTFS
3) AOMEI Partition Assistant
4) Wondershare data recovery
5) EaseUs data recovery
6) EaseUs Partition Master
7) Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery
free or demo versions. Few of these found the hdd, but nothing else happened.

almost all of my personal files are double backed up so i am ok with that.
the problem is that on that 4 TB drive i moved all my work. i am a musician and a graphic artist. so OMG!

i'll try to install linux on a seperate hdd and see how it goes.
i'll be back in a couple of days and tell you what happened.
thank you for your advice!

RealBeast

Titan
You actually do not need to install Linux to a HDD, you can make a USB stick that runs a Live version directly from the stick using that linked tool -- unetbootin. Mint32 is a very simple version for doing this sort of stuff and you select it when making the stick, the tool automatically downloads the Linux image and makes the bootable stick. Then you simply boot from the stick on any computer where you can attach the problem HDD.

Mar 21, 2018

cant use a stick right now since both have lots of data at this moment.
anyways, i installed linux on a small hdd. i used the utility "gnome disks" and it found the corrupted hdd but with a size of 2,2TB. below is the screenshot i took right now.
but i am stuck cause i have no idea about ubuntu, its apps, the "know how" in general.
2z8dv8m.jpg