WD 5tb Hard drive only showing as 2TB

polonium

Commendable
May 22, 2016
I purchased a hard drive from Western Digital and on my computer. Windows states that it only has 2tb of storage when the hard drive actually is suppose to have 5. Can someone help?

Solution
When you access Disk Management does the 2 TB HDD indicate about 1.63 TB of disk-space and the remainder of the disk-space is unallocated?

If that is so, the disk has been partitioned MBR-style. To utilize the full disk-space of (about) 6 TB you have to partition the disk GPT-style.

Assuming the disk is still "virgin", i.e., you haven't installed any data on it, right-click on far-left gray box ("Disk x") that indicates the size of the disk and select the option "Convert to GPT disk". You can do this only if no data has been installed on the disk.

Do some research on the differences between MBR & GPT partitioned disks.
When you access Disk Management does the 2 TB HDD indicate about 1.63 TB of disk-space and the remainder of the disk-space is unallocated?

If that is so, the disk has been partitioned MBR-style. To utilize the full disk-space of (about) 6 TB you have to partition the disk GPT-style.

Assuming the disk is still "virgin", i.e., you haven't installed any data on it, right-click on far-left gray box ("Disk x") that indicates the size of the disk and select the option "Convert to GPT disk". You can do this only if no data has been installed on the disk.

Do some research on the differences between MBR & GPT partitioned disks.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS