WD 6TB Black won't initialize

Christian_64

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
I am using Windows 10 with a Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard. The HDD is recognized on Device Manager but unfortunately it won't initialize either on MBR or GPT in Disk Management.

I'll post a screenshot of what i mean

27656976486_be70d7c6ca_o.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7417/27656976486_be70d7c6ca_o.jpg

I've tried everything from updating the bios to checking the cables and plugs. I did buy myself another HDD but a WD 4TB Blue this time and i got the same problem so i'm not sure whether it is my computer or the hard disks that are faulty.

I was thinking about possibly doing a complete reinstall and go back to Windows 7

Solution
Welcome to the community, Christian!

Sorry to see you struggle with both WD drives! :( However, I wouldn't recommend you declare them dead, unless you attempt to initialize them from another computer. This way you will be able to find out whether or not they are the source of the issue. You might as well check your BIOS version and SATA controller/chipset drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's official website just as @ArtPog suggested. Make sure you have the latest versions. Before that, you could also try resetting BIOS and see if that will let the massive WD HDDs get properly recognized. If you need to update/flash the BIOS, please follow your mobo's manual for precise step-by-step instructions. The procedure needs to be...

Christian_64

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
I swapped the SATA connectors around so it now shows as Disk 1 but i am still having the same issue. If you have a look at the picture it shows there is no capacity so unfortunately it wont initialize to either MBR or GPT. I either get a I/O device error for MBR and "is less than the minimum size required" for GPT

Well, when I look at the "picture" in Disk Management I do see in the left box of the schematic listing of the disk a very small red arrow that is pointing downward. Do you see that too?

And if you do, what exactly happens when you right-click with your mouse on that small downward pointing red arrow?

Christian_64

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
Right-clicking on the little red arrow gives you 4 options which are Initialize Disk, Offline, Properties & Help. I've clicked on Initialize disk where i get the option of either MBR or GPT Partition Style which only gives me "I/O Device error" & "Minimum Size"

It's hard to believe it's a defective disk since you purchased another new HDD and ran into the identical problem with that disk, right?

And you've tried connecting both of those disks to different motherboard SATA connectors (ports) and used different SATA data cables as well and still experience the same problem?

Have you checked to determine whether an updated BIOS and/or updated SATA controller driver is available from ASUS?

Welcome to the community, Christian!

Sorry to see you struggle with both WD drives! :( However, I wouldn't recommend you declare them dead, unless you attempt to initialize them from another computer. This way you will be able to find out whether or not they are the source of the issue. You might as well check your BIOS version and SATA controller/chipset drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's official website just as @ArtPog suggested. Make sure you have the latest versions. Before that, you could also try resetting BIOS and see if that will let the massive WD HDDs get properly recognized. If you need to update/flash the BIOS, please follow your mobo's manual for precise step-by-step instructions. The procedure needs to be executed flawlessly.

Keep us posted!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution