Question WD 850 2TB M.2 SSD not booting after fresh Windows install ?

Nov 9, 2022
Hey guys , since yesterday everything went downhill with my system.

My 980 Pro 2TB went into read-only mode and got the S.M.A.R.T warning

"WARNING: Please back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent and cause unpredictable fail. Press F1 to Run SETUP. "

Gona send it to RMA tomorrow.

I still had a 1TB Crucial NVMe and a Western Digital 2TB Black SN850 NVMe M.2 as free storage.

Well since i dont want to wait and stay with no system and sice the WD 850 is empty i went and fresh installed Windows 10 on it via USB

It finds the drive , i clean it and then i install the windows and after the installation and the restart process i cannot boot from the drive no matter what.

Think i have done everything possible in the BIOS but cant make the drive to boot and finish the windows install.

The USB pen i use worked always in many systems I had installed before and even after this , and it was the one used to get windows on the 980 PRO.

To isolate the problem i took all the Nvme M.2 drives from the MBO and only got there the WD 850 , but still no luck after the windows install.

I mean the drive shows on the BIOS and i can test the drive ETC and everything is perfect , but as a bootable drive it simply doesnt show.

More than 8 hours in this process and i dunno what else i can do tbh.

TH forums have been my saviors from early 2000 but right now i dont know what more i can do.

My system if it helps by any means

I9 12900K
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
32GB DDR5 Kingston
4090 Gigabyte
980 Pro M.2 2TB - Dead
WD 850 M.2 2TB - Storage
Crucial M.2 1TB - Storage

Using an USB with W10 Pro x64 created with Rufus.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at this moment of time? You forgot to include the make and model of the PSU. how are you cooling that processor? Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Nov 9, 2022
MBO Bios Version 2.21.1278
PSU Corsair HX Series™ HX1000 — 1000 Watt 80 PLUS® PLATINUM
WC MSI MEG CORELIQUID S360

The source of my W10 Installer is my personal W10 Pro Iso that i have installed in more than 50 machines with different Keys without any problem.

In fact i can continue to boot and install the W10 in the WD 850 M.2 2TB over and over again but it simple will not apear on the BIOS to boot as a windows unity so i can finish the instalation.

Nov 9, 2022
MBO Bios Version 2.21.1278
PSU Corsair HX Series™ HX1000 — 1000 Watt 80 PLUS® PLATINUM
WC MSI MEG CORELIQUID S360

The source of my W10 Installer is my personal W10 Pro Iso that i have installed in more than 50 machines with different Keys without any problem.

In fact i can continue to boot and install the W10 in the WD 850 M.2 2TB over and over again but it simple will not apear on the BIOS to boot as a windows unity so i can finish the instalation.

Correction , Bios version 0803 x64
Build Date 11/25/2021

Nov 9, 2022
So im updating the MBO Bios the last one

Version 2103
2022/10/19

Dunno if it will solve anything but well atleast is UpToDate if i wanna change for a Series 13 processor.

Nov 9, 2022
Really dont know what to do more , i formated the USB i loaded and updated Windows 10 Pro ISO , i tryed other USB sticks and when Im instaling Windows and after reset i go to BIOS and i cant boot from the M.2 SSD with a fresh new Windows instalation on it.

About to give up and throw everything out of the window... Half a day on this and Im clueless on what to do.

Nov 9, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at this moment of time? You forgot to include the make and model of the PSU. how are you cooling that processor? Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Well some progress but still a no go , since the 4090 is huge and to have space to move around i took it off , and with that i didnt had CSM enabled in the BIOS since i was using the onboard graphic and in the new Z5 and 6 MBO models u need to have a graphic card so yeah my bad on that. With a graphic card there i can have the CSM Enabled with a bunch of options and now i can see the M.2 on the boot options (Yay?). Well i did a new fresh windows install and booted from the M.2 , but now im in the "Select a proper boot device etc etc" like the M.2 didnt had windows installed. Moving some boot priorities around now i can delete the partitions and install the Windows again on the M.2 because when i'm about to do next to install windows it says "Unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition". Messed around with boot options prioprities and some other options and i could do it again but got myself in the same error "Select a proper boot device etc etc" So right now im so tired i dont even know what more to do , but atleast i know that the MBO and the M.2 are fully working and is something to do with the right options to get it to boot after windows instalation and resume the instalation from the M.2 , sounds easy but it's not since i dont know anymore what should be on BIOS in terms of boot , like secure boot , UEFI Windows or Other OS , in CSM legacy or UEFI only also in boot device control theres UEFI and Legacy OPROM (without CSM enabled i cant see the M.2 as a bootable drive so i guess i need the CSM enabled no matter what). Anyway more than 20 hours around this , all night on this , i need some rest and some sleep , really dont know what more i can do , feel like im close but maybe im not. Tks anyway for all the support and patience.

TRENDING THREADS